Mayor: DESPERATE SOS

Honestly little of the response from the victims there surprises me - I mean they are to the point where they are having to fight for their lives - and people in that situation will undertake desperate measures. Unfortunately for the victims, many are the poorest of the poor - and for the most part - many could care less about them at this stage after being desensitized by hours of footage of looting. I'm embarassed to be an American on days like today to think how little effort is going into recovery now 5 days after this scenario became eminent. Sloppy decisions now has them rescuing the same people multiple times.

Glen

Originally posted by Glen Romine
Sloppy decisions now has them rescuing the same people multiple times.
Very good observation. Indeed, they are playing hopscotch, moving victims to point A, only to have to move them again to point B, and sometimes point C, before they ever actually get them onto conveyance that will shuttle them to a refugee destination. A lot of duplicated efforts.

With very little communications though, this is inevitible. All the coordinators in the world can't coordinate without communications.

The CNN anchor Jack Cafferty just flipped out and went into a diatribe -- he said this is the biggest bungle in the history of the US government. He specifically called out Bush and said that his response to this so far has been negligent to the point of disbelief -- that this is the worst disaster and screw-up he's seen in his 64 years and that the world is watching our incompetence. We're on day three and there no food or water for the people. It sounded like he was ready to punch the cameraman!

FEMA, having been folded into DHS when that department was created, has suffered under massive negligence by the higher ups lately. Good people are leaving FEMA left and right because anti-terrorism is sucking up every cent that isn't nailed down.

Mods, I'm not talking politics, just the reality of the situation. Our nation is neglecting natural disaster mitigation, response, and recovery.

Originally posted by Ryan McGinnis
The CNN anchor Jack Cafferty just flipped out and went into a diatribe -- he said this is the biggest bungle in the history of the US government. He specifically called out Bush and said that his response to this so far has been negligent to the point of disbelief -- that this is the worst disaster and screw-up he's seen in his 64 years and that the world is watching our incompetence. We're on day three and there no food or water for the people. It sounded like he was ready to punch the cameraman!

i heard it also but its a completely different story when he is in a air conditioned office with a ton of money and food. Now is not the time to be playing on your political bias.

There is only so much money to go around. That's the reality of government. Where money goes to DHS or military operations across the world, money must leave other departments. This is not a political statement -- it's reality. You cannot spend massive amounts of money in one part of government (i.e. DoD) and keep all other factions and organizations properly funded. Again, not politics, just reality.

True -- I think his temper was just up. But I think in the post-mortem, it will be said that the response to this was a monumental screw-up. Heads will roll.

heard this on WGN radio in Chicago, the Police chief is saying that everytime they try to get into the convention center they are "beaten out" and there are many rapes and beatings going on inside

Back