May 29 2004 Long Track Harper County, Kansas Tornado Video

Its hard to believe it was 5 years ago today when one of the best chase days of all times went into the history books in south/central Kansas. Many chasers intercepted numerous tornadoes, I saw so many that day I lost count - but one stands out, an elephant trunk on an LP storm that was beautifully lit by the sun.

It roared across Harper County for nearly 30 minutes in total, and we were there to witness its birth from not even a mile away and we were there when it finally roped out in a field - we watched from behind a police roadblock on a muddy Kansas backroad where power lines were down across some railroad tracks.

Kory at Severe Studios has put my video of this amazing tornado on the featured section of www.severestudios.com today, so anyone that wants to relive the moment, or missed it - check out the Severe Studios website now.

The video has been time fit for YouTube's policies, but the video will "live on" with SevereStudio's YouTube channel as well - it's the first time this much of this specific video has been released.

And I do apologize for some of the contrast issues with the video...I forgot to set it to "hand your camera to a stranger mode" when I passed on the camera and decided to do the driving.

-Brian Barnes

You have excellent footage of an awesome tornado. Its tornado days lke that where my adrenaline is going to the point I have to watch the video to remember what happened. Did you have a similar experience from May 29th?

I did and have so since. I did however have some people with me that this was their first tornado, and first chase day ever and they were really stoked over it. I don't know if that's good or bad, but they must of went home thinking it was just a normal day in the plains... lol. Anyway, Thanks Greg!

Back