Maximum "Sustained" Winds?

cdcollura

EF5
Good day all,

I am open to any input or corrections on this...

I seen the chases done on Typhoon "Krasa" in Taiwan and seen the maximum winds "lighter" than what was expected by us "western" storm chasers.

I understand that the 1-minute (60 second) mean wind speed is used to measure tropical cyclone winds according to the US (NHC / NWS) where a 10 m height is preferred in a marine environment (open sea area, marine exposure - such as an onshore eyewall flow off the ocean).

What determines the "gust" speeds? Do they use the 10-second mean / peak gust?

I see many reports saying maximum sustained at 120 MPH with "gusts" to 145 - Is that 145 for 10s or what about 3s?

I am also under the impression that typhoons, measured by JTWC / Japan use the 10-second sustained wind and not the 60 second (1 minute) rule like we do?

Is this why Krasa had "130 MPH winds" and those in Taiwan only felt 100+ MPH? Were these 130 MPH for 10s and not 1 minute? Just curious.

Or maybe the little loop it did just off the island upwelled cooler water causing Krasa's convection to crap-out and it simply weakened?

In comparison, the new EF scale uses a 3-second gust rule, making good sense for tornadoes, with an overlay of damage observed.

In comparison, a hurricane like Andrew back in 1992 with 165-MPH sustained winds gusting to over 200 (10 s) ... In 3 seconds a cat-5 hurricane like that is like an EF-5 tornado 10-20 miles wide? LOL!!

I would assume in Japan they use the WMO standard for sustained wind speed which is actually a 10-minute mean wind, I am not sure what JTWC uses as their sustained wind value. I am guessing the gust is still a 3-second gust which is used in most engineering applications for minimum design standards but I could be wrong there. The advisory maximum gusts values are probably computed from a gust factor applied to the mean wind speed given open terrain exposure.

JTWC uses the one minute average, all other agencies in the western and south pacific use the 10 minute average on sustained winds.

My understanding:

Re: sustained winds... The USA uses a 1-min average to express a sustained wind, whereas most other agencies throughout the world use a 10-min average-- including Japan's JMA and Australia's BoM. Therefore, the JTWC (an American agency) uses a 1-min average (as Jim mentions above).

The factor for converting a 10-min wind to a 1-min wind is 1.12 to 1.15, depending on who you talk to. (Australia's BoM recommends 1.15, and that's what I use.) Of course, this factor won't yield precise values-- but it's helpful for making rough comparisons.

Re: gusts... I believe most world agencies-- including the USA-- use a 3-second extreme value.

Back