LSR Types

I know there are plenty of NWS-types on this board (OT: no money for SCEP/STEP this year :( ), so I figure this is a good place to ask...

I'm writing a decoder for Local Storm Reports to convert them into a WXP raw file for plotting. I've got a copy of the LSR format, but what I need to know is all of the different types of LSRs. I'm not talking NWUS22 SPC-type LSRs but the NWUS5. issued by WFOs. So far I have:

HIGH SUST WINDS
HAIL
NON-TSTM WND GST
BLIZZARD
SNOW
TSTM WIND GST
DOWNBURST
WIND DAMAGE
TSTM WND DMG
NON-TSTM WND DMG
HEAVY SNOW
MARINE TSTM WIND
FUNNEL CLOUD
TORNADO
FLASH FLOOD

This is just from persousing the past few day's worth of LSRs. I've tried to find a complete list on the NWS website to no avail. If anyone can point me to a website or send me a complete list, I'd be much obliged.

Thanks,
Ben

Did a long search up until a few minuites ago... and I couldn't find any links to display the list of types. Your list that you listed is almost complete, however... but I seem to remember seeing LIGHTNING in LSR's from when people have been struck by it. Am I correct?

..Nick..

Just a word from the wise from someone has also written programs to decode LSRs....

Do your self a favor and write the software as generally as possible. NWS offices make LSR formatting errors all of the time.

Aaron

I've tried to find a complete list on the NWS website to no avail. If anyone can point me to a website or send me a complete list, I'd be much obliged.

NWS Instruction 10-517, "Multi Purpose Weather Products Specification", has a listing of event types (and source types) on the very last page (part of Appendix B). More general information on the LSR is around page 12 or so (talking about specific character alignment, etc.).

This can be found at http://www.nws.noaa.gov/directives/010/010.htm and go about a quarter of the way down the page.

Chris G.

Back