Long Island Forecast

William Combes

Just checking out the snow forecast for Long Island and came across this:

Friday: Periods of snow before 8am, then occasional rain and snow between 8am and 10am, then periods of rain between 10am and 1pm, then periods of rain and snow, mainly between 1pm and 2pm, then a chance of snow after 3pm. Areas of blowing snow after 3pm. High around 38. Breezy, with a north wind 10 to 13 mph increasing to between 22 and 25 mph. Winds could gust as high as 43 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

Talk about hour by hour forecasts.............. Rain, then snow, then rain, then snow and rain, then snow.... Geezzz..

I'm in SW Connecticut and it looks like a really complicated forecast. I'm hoping the colder GFS solution plays out. With 17 degree dewpoint depressions we have a serious virga storm ahead of us, not to mention some evaporational cooling.

Have seen this before, and saved it. This is from the Waupun, Wisconsin forecast last December 1st...

Friday Night: A chance of rain before 8pm, then a chance of snow between 8pm and 9pm, then a chance of rain between 9pm and 11pm, then a chance of snow between 11pm and midnight, then a chance of rain between midnight and 2am, then a chance of snow between 2am and 3am, then a chance of rain between 3am and 5am, then a chance of snow after 5am. Partly cloudy, with a low around 28. Chance of precipitation is 30%

"Periods of rain or snow tonight through tomorrow morning." Uhhh, doesnt that pretty much say the same thing?

Doug Raflik

Currently snowing very hard and 33 degrees. I hope the back edge gets here before we completely go to rain. Some signs that colder air is moving in as the coastal low takes shape.

For my area (same forecast office):

Periods of snow before 11am, then occasional rain and snow between 11am and noon, then snow likely between noon and 1pm, then rain likely, mainly between 1pm and 3pm, then a slight chance of rain and snow between 4pm and 5pm.

Is that code for "no clue?" Seems like they could have gotten away with being a lot less specific.

Back