Limit-pushing

But, again, it is not my responsibility to talk in Disney.com mode on various discussion forums because a kid might happen to log on. Do you censor yourself this way on discussion forums? I sure don't.
It is only your responsibility to follow the forum rules, just as you are when in someone's house, business, etc. There is a level of conduct that is expected by the owner, on a forum it's usually the admin and moderators that set that tone. Of course what the expectations are and if they are realistic is what is in part what is being argued about.

But I really, strongly disagree in principle with this idea that we all need to talk in a child-friendly way on a forum that isn't intended for children. Again, parents need to supervise their children's Internet activity-- that is the issue.

Totally agree with the parent supervision, but I think, as I posted in the previous post...realistically it isn't just children. And luckily as you state, B&G is separate of public eyes and is only an issue among members of ST.

Also, as I pointed out before.... Any kid surfing Internet discussion forums unsupervised is coming across content much, much scarier than that silly "boobies" thread.
LOL...yeah...just look at Eastern.

Well if we're worried about the public we should just shut down the board. Someone may see this and decide to chase and drive right into an F5.

The whole 'don't read it if you don't like it' mantra is flawed. That's like opening a strip club in a residential neighborhood and barking at the residents who complain to 'not look at it if you don't like it'.

Tell that to the owner of the strip bar who is within the minimum distance of a church, only to have the city come down on HIM when the church decides to build on (tax-free, 'cause Jesus followers are the ones who are "right") thus encroaching on the city-mandated minimum distance.

THAT'S BULL****.

I actually thought the idea of don't read if you don't like it is flawed because how do you know you don't like it if you don't read it?

Last edited by a moderator:
It is only your responsibility to follow the forum rules, just as you are when in someone's house, business, etc. There is a level of conduct that is expected by the owner, on a forum it's usually the admin and moderators that set that tone. Of course what the expectations are and if they are realistic is what is in part what is being argued about.
Yep-- if you read my previous posts on this topic, you'll see that I've repeatedly emphasized that this is a private board and the owners are therefore free to set whatever rules of engagement they like.

And therefore, I have never once disagreed with the owners here-- I've disagreed with other members whose opinions are no more or less important than mine.

LOL...yeah...just look at Eastern.
You can chuckle at it, but Eastern works because the main, regular participants there are all cool with the tone and vibe of the place.

I'll pipe in with an alternate suggestion.

Instead of simply removing members or restricting admission to the forums based on the label of "chaser", "non-chaser", or whatever you can think of, how about creating a merit system where people earn/lose points based off of the quality of the posts they add to this forum? For example you could give 10 points to someone who makes a truly quality post to this thread, 0 points for someone who makes a post that does not contribute to the quality of this thread, but a post that also is not detrimental or demeaning to the forum, and take away 10 points when someone posts something that is off-topic, rude, or in some other way in violation of the rules or objectives of this forum.

You would have to restrict the point giving to non B&G areas for this to even be considered. However, you could do a trial period, say 3 or 6 months, see how many points people accumulate, then set some sort of standard (like you must accumulate 100 points over 6 months to stay in the club).

It's kind of like the infractions policy, only you get points for adding to the quality of the forum instead of only being punished for breaking the rules.

I know this would be difficult for the mods to enforce given their number relative to that of the regular members, but it's a way to weed out members that are not contributing to the quality of Stormtrack.

Sorry Jeff, while I personally love this idea I really do not think this would/could ever work. It is just to subjective....for anyone. Would we leave the decision of quality to the mods?? Thats a scary thought IMO!!

New post on my blog partially devoted to this topic. Its in favor of the "If you dont like it then dont read it" motto. If anyone wants to read it the link is in my signature. This is pathetic though, are we still honestly complaining about this crap? Christ some people need to learn to let things go.

One thing that I dont understand is moderation is here to enforce the same rules we are supposed to abide by, yet they engage in the same name calling in the chat room:

chat1.jpg

*Crickets* This is for the mandatory text limit.

Back