Lightning In Katrina

Re: Andrew

It was said by one observer in 1992 that Andrew had significant lightning when it struck South Miami, and that the lightning was a (curious?) azure color.
Azure? Most likely, that wasn't lightning, but exploding power transformers. Saw the same thing in Andrew in Louisiana myself.

Wow, their really is a lot in this thing! Mainly however, just the bands. Check it out! Their is so much lightning that it takes the shape of the outer bands.

strikes9jd.jpg

Re: Andrew

It was said by one observer in 1992 that Andrew had significant lightning when it struck South Miami, and that the lightning was a (curious?) azure color. Sorry I don't have a link to that account.

When broken up Pacific hurricanes travel north up the Baja Peninsula and import moisture into the Southwestern Monsoon (Arizona), I have also noticed that the lightning with these systems is often azure in color. I would be curious as to an explanation. As I have seen, this seems to occur more frequently in late August and early September, when the Monsoon can be affected by moisture imported by Mexican tropical systems.

Back