Lenticular, inflow, spaceship or swamp gas?

Where was this feature relative to the rain? For me, the smooth and symmetric appearance would tell me it's some sort of wave atop a stable (rain-cooled?) boundary layer (kind of like HCRs, but this one acting more like a local gravity wave than an HCR). The small size it interesting though.

Its hard to tell in the photo but there is an identical cloud just to the right (north) of the main cloud. It could be sitting over a cold pool, this storm hadn't produced any rain yet, but it could have put down a cold layer.

I think the Caprock came into play here as this cloud was sitting just east of it.

I know there had to be at least 50 other chasers who saw these clouds that evening.

They looked like a beaver tail in appearance and placement, but they were moving away from the "storm". I've seen them lots of times, and they always mean a bust. I'm not very knowledgable about cloud types, so I'll not chance a guess.

Originally posted by Shane Adams
They looked like a beaver tail in appearance and placement, but they were moving away from the \"storm\". I've seen them lots of times, and they always mean a bust. I'm not very knowledgable about cloud types, so I'll not chance a guess.

Yeah, that makes me think it's some sort of gravity wave or other type of wave atop a more stable near-surface layer. This makes sense if it does indeed move away from the storm, as the perturbation would likely have been caused by the storm itself (imagine dropping a rock into water). Additionally, "always mean a bust" makes me believe this is stability-related (i.e. capping, etc), which would make sense since the wave feature would likely occur at a strong density boundary, such as what we have with cold air (dense) underlays hot air (not so dense), as in the case of a stable (capped) boundary layer. Given a storm, this may just mean that the cold pool is advancing to provide a stable layer, not necessarily that the mesoscale "cap" is strong, given that the size of the cloud is not particularly large (which makes me think storm-scale feature, not mesoscale or larger feature). Just a hypothesis.

Looks like it is associated with the shallow lifting from the developing FFD outflow. You could probably call it a roll cloud. With time ive seen these transition into a beaver tail if it doesnt run out from the storm.

I wasnt there on this particular storm but that's my guess.

Back