Laptraveler - Vehicle Laptop Mount

David Brown

I've been looking at laptops mounts for my Taurus.I've seen some quite
clever and inexpensive solutions. Jotto seems to be the favorite for many, but for my purposes I'm looking for a no-drill mount.

What I found is a model called Laptraveler:

http://www.laptraveler.com/hd-13series.htm

Being a single-post model, I guess my chief concern is vibration, but
I'm willing to accept a little. Has anybody had any experience with
this model?

David Brown

I changed the title of this thread to avoid confusion with the many other laptop mount threads already posted. This oughta keep this thread specifically on this model.

Labtop mount

Laptraveler seems to be the nicest one I've seen. Unfortunately I went another direction and bought one from RAM. Talk about vibration, I endend up disassembling it after one chase and using parts of it to build my own.

The single arm is probably the best, especially if you are bolting it to your seat rail. Avoid anything with pivot points like a dual swing arm. The weight of the laptop makes it bounce like a diving board when you are driving. If you are chasing alone, there is a slick model that you put on your passeger seat, the name escapes me at the moment, I'll get back to you on that one.

After checking out this model, I would almost say stick with Jotto for the price... my laptop is a heavier model and the vibration is actually pretty small for my Mercury Tracer. I only have the one bar, may get a second just for added stability, but I've had no issues with mine at all! In fact, my Jotto Desk was probably one of the best purchases I made over the off-season! I would be curious to hear if anyone uses this particular model and have them share their experiences.. personally, I hadn't heard of it til you brought it up.

Re: Labtop mount

Originally posted by tommywinning
Laptraveler seems to be the nicest one I've seen. Unfortunately I went another direction and bought one from RAM. Talk about vibration, I endend up disassembling it after one chase and using parts of it to build my own.

Funny, my RAM setup works great with very little vibration at all. I'm using the RAM-PODIII base with the 101 arm so that might make a bit of a difference (the rubber-ball mounts absorb shock nicely); the swing-arm you described might operate a bit differently.

Just the same, I would be interested in learning more about this Laptraveler setup for future reference.

Last year I had what is called a Mobile Air Desk that worked great for me. The only downfall is it takes up your passenger seat, so if you have a partner they'd had to sit in back...

But it worked great for me, no vibration, no problems with it. I don't have a link at the moment, but just go to yahoo or google and type in Mobile Air Desk and it should take you to a link.

Originally posted by jketcham
Last year I had what is called a Mobile Air Desk that worked great for me. The only downfall is it takes up your passenger seat, so if you have a partner they'd had to sit in back...

But it worked great for me, no vibration, no problems with it. I don't have a link at the moment, but just go to yahoo or google and type in Mobile Air Desk and it should take you to a link.

Or see my post above...............
Thanks a lot for posting that. I've been leaning toward getting one of these, and you've helped me to make the decision.

Keep the faith
Sean

The mobile air desk is the one I was speaking of, it looked like it would work quite well.

When I purchased my RAM mount, I couldn't decide to get the ball and socket joint or the duel swing arm mount. I got the duel swing arm so whoever was navigating could maximize thier comfort.
Long story short, computer was too heavy for the arm. The Pod III is a nice setup, just didn't work how I wanted it.

I have the same laptop mount that is in your link. I have used it for just over a year of chasing and other Amateur radio emergency communications field operations. This was my first mount so I can not compare it to any others. However I have nothing but good things to say about it. I have had it in three different vehicles and it works well in all. I first had it in a 1991 Buick La Saber, then I had it in a Chevy 1500 Pick-up truck for a 48 hour field operation. I am now in the process of setting up my new chase vehicle for this summer, it is a 2001 Saturn SL1. I would normally have everything set-up and ready by now but my old vehicle just died so now I am trying to get everything done at the last minute.
I have the laptop mount in the Saturn and it fits and works great. A passenger can still fit into the seat with only about 10% more difficult than without the mount in place. The trick is to work with the mount to get it in just the right configuration that works best for your vehicle and needs. The other good thing about this mount is that it only takes 5 seconds to take the base out.

Back