Laptop Suggestions

Wow - what a response! Thanks, everybody! :D

I figured the subject of "What Crappy Low-End Laptop To Get" would have been done over and over to death on here by now - so much so that everybody's sick of answering the same questions and dilemmas. But nope - I still got a buncha advice!

Yes, I must admit - albeit that Dell are the Wal-Mart of laptops......I am beginning to look to them more and more. They're a big company who specialize in the type of machine I'm looking for and they definitely have the warranty/after-sales that I'd be looking for with a new purchase. I did hear of a bad experience with a Dell laptop a couple of years ago - but the thing was second-hand, relatively old and had been messed around with a bit. Everything else I've heard about them has been good. I also like their online purchasing system and the way you can specify certain requirements/upgrades etc. It makes it much easier for the layman like me who just-wants-a-laptop. LOL.

Well - it's a bit ahead in the future but I DO like the look of that E1505 for the money. We'll see!

Thanks again guys! B)

Karen
[/b]

Karen,

I think the best information resource out there about each manufacturer is a forum much like what we have here about weather, except its about notebooks.

It is called Notebook Forums.com *LINK*

If you find time, go there and read what others say about each manufacturer. It is pretty well stocked with many posters relating their experiences not only with the manufacturer, but each model.

It has hundreds and hundreds of user reviews. I feel it is the best resource to help a person decide on what kind of laptop is available at the price they want that has the fewest user problems. B)

Karen,

I like my Dell Inspiron 9300. Only problem for me is that it has a 17" screen....which isn't terribly good for chasing. I have also had good luck with the Inspiron 6000. Dell is pretty good on technical support, which I haven't had ANY problems since I have had my laptop (1 year +). If you want to go expensive....you could always buy an Alienware. :eek:

Been running the same Fujitsu now for almost five years ... it's taken a beating and a half and has never had a single problem. Two weeks after I got it I spilled coffee on the keys (with sugar) ... a couple of the keys still stick, but this thing is fantastic. I've never reformatted (though its probably time I do). Been a great machine. I'll definitely look for another one just like it.

I just bought a laptop from the Dell outlet online. I got a computer that was brand new and never used. Dell took $100 off the original price when I bought it. I just got it the other day. It works great. And it only cost me $600 that was with overnight shipping and a 1 year warranty purchase. It's a Inspiron B120, 512MB RAM, 40Gb hard drive and it came with a wireless card. My brother's computer has been malfunctioning the last few days and we decided we didn't want to risk our whole chase on whether or not his computer would power up, so we bought one. It's really a good computer. I don't know how much you like Dell, it's kind of the "user friendly" brand, but I have no complaints so far.

check it out!
http://www.dell.com/content/default.aspx?c...2&~bandwidth=NA
There are also some better equipped models that are just a little more expensive. Good luck finding the right computer.

Been running the same Fujitsu now for almost five years ... it's taken a beating and a half and has never had a single problem. Two weeks after I got it I spilled coffee on the keys (with sugar) ... a couple of the keys still stick, but this thing is fantastic. I've never reformatted (though its probably time I do). Been a great machine. I'll definitely look for another one just like it.
[/b]

I have the 7010d subnotebook.. Its really nice.. I concur on Fujitsu

About to buy a laptop from Dells outlet store but I know very little about Notebooks can anyone tell me how important and what the diffference in the wireless cards are, will a 1370 work for normal internet surfing or should I look for one with a better card??

You should get a 1337 wireless card :p lol, j/k

But seriously, ask c|net, they are usually very good at giving the right advice on questions like that. And what ever you do, don't go into a big box and ask them. They may look like they know something, but most of the time they are BSing you.

Here is the link to c|net's dell reviews: http://reviews.cnet.com/4511-5_7-4.html?qt...o=1&ds=1#seeAll

Hope that helps you make your choice.

My new computer has the 1370 in it, and it works just fine. It's an internal combo wireless-b/g. I wouldn't bother with the other ones because they are not worth it IMO.

Thanks; I just picked up a refurbished dell with DVD-RW, 80gb HD, 1gb Ram, 1370 wireless card, leather carrying case with a 15.4 screen for $569, total of $625 with tax and shipping from what I have seen you cant touch a computer with those specs for under $1000 in the stores. There are definetly some great deals on their outlet webpage I recommend checking it out I will let you know how mine works when I get it; thats the only downfall the estimated delivery time isnt until June 7.

Back