Katrina Forum - when will it end?

I see the board has just been closed. Very good timing, I applaud the decision.

I was just about to post the following in the "winding down" thread:

The Katrina board's time may have passed now, but it was great while it was going strong. Kudos to everyone who contributed to it. The board was a genuine public service, and I'd like to thank Tim and all the mods who were responsible for keeping it going. In the first days after the storm I found the forum to be an invaluable resource, a real goldmine of information. True, much of that information was available elsewhere, but only here could you find it all gathered together in one place, alongside a lot of colorful but often insightful commentary. Many thanks for providing a place for all this to happen.

Thanks for bringing the open Katrina forum to a close. While I don't want to try and suggest that I didn't find the content there interesting and informative - there was an increasing trend, particularly from a few ST members, to post material there that would have been in violation of TOS were it posted anywhere else - and I feared this would eventually start to ooze into the other areas if left unrestrained. Hats off to Tim and the mods for firing up the Katrina section and providing a timely one-stop-shop for the latest in Katrina related issues. Also, thanks to all those who contributed quality posts.

Glen

I agree with Glen. The board certainly helped to raise funds and awareness, and provided a supportive environment for good works like the Storms of 2005 DVD. It was a great credit to Stormtrack.

Thanks for the special Katrina board (and for closing it when its time was over). I found a lot of info that I wouldn't have had time to search for on the internet. I agree that some of the posts were not quite to StormTrack standards but this was a special situation.

I would recommend keeping the entire section together in the archives rather than trying to move different sections to different places. I may come back to the Katrina board in the future and other people researching the storm on the internet may want to view the archives as a complete section. I do suggest leaving the FIRST-HAND chase reports as they are in the Katrina section but possible copying and pasting them into a thread that can also be kept in the chase reports section.

Bill Hark
http://www.harkphoto.com

Back