Just got my Canon Digital Rebel

Something I noticed on Aaron's middle shot (awesome, by the way), is that he set his drive mode on continuous, which I had never thought of doing for some reason. That would be a great way of increasing your chances of getting a bolt in the shot -

Great shots, Aaron ...

... my next lens will probably be the Tamron SP AF17-35mm Di LD, which was designed with the digital size limitations in mind.

Do you think this makes sense in the long haul though? These lenses are just much smaller and hence cheaper for better quality now, but wouldn't you expect that full frame CMOS is coming down the pipeline, and then you won't be able to use any of your smaller frame lenses? I think I'd still recommend getting regular size lenses with the hopes of still using them 10 years from now and replacing the body as better technology comes along.

Glen

I encourage you to make an investment in good lenses. Your lenses should last a long time and you want the best you can afford. Camera body technology will come and go but lenses haven't really changed in centuries. Ok, they have changed a lot...but they still use glass...just like Galileo used.

Lenses are of equal - and possibly even greater at times - value as the body, in my mind. It works the same as astronomy for those of you into that ... you learn in time that aperature is much more important to you than magnification. Camera lenses work similarly ... having a fast lens is more important to me than zoom (even with digital) any day of the week. I'm only just now realizing how true this is -

As for the digitally-optimized lenses ... here's what Shutterbug said:

Optimized for digital SLRs, the Di-series is just as desirable for use with 35mm cameras ... ultra-wide angle lenses particularly benefit from special optical designs in order to produce the best possible results with digital SLR cameras.

Was a cool article because it fits the lens on both film SLR and digital to demonstrate the differences between the smaller cmos sensor and a frame of 35mm film.

When it comes to lenses, I am just way more interested in things like sharpness, contrast, color and resolution. All of the lenses I use are perfectly interchangeable with film SLR cameras. That was one of the reasons I wasn't really interested in the kit lens that comes with the 300D ... it's made only for the digital rebel and has a special collar that fits the lens closer to the chip for better results ... but I want to be able to interchange lenses between film and digital, so I didn't go for the D300 kit.

Back