Jackson, NE Aug 17, 2001 Tornado and Parent Storm Photo

I was doing some minor researching on the Jackson, NE Aug 17, 2001 Tornado and came across a spectacular photograph of a supercell and tornado.

For those wondering, I moved to Sioux City exactly one month later. At the time of this photograph, I resided in Toledo, Ohio.

Click here for photo

What I believe a spectacular structure/tornado shot. Enjoy.

I was doing some minor researching on the Jackson, NE Aug 17, 2001 Tornado and came across a spectacular photograph of a supercell and tornado. This photograph was taken, according to the website, just south of Sioux City and looking west.

For those wondering, I moved to Sioux City exactly one month later. At the time of this photograph, I resided in Toledo, Ohio.

Click here for photo

What I believe a spectacular structure/tornado shot. Enjoy.
[/b]

That's an absolutely amazing image! I'm always amazed by how small tornadoes are relative to the updrafts above them. Yet, tornadoes are huge relative to man-made structures! What a great sense of scale...

Gabe

Yeah that is a nice shot. I've had that on my computer for a few years now. I think it was shot near Macy NE and is most certainly looking east.

8-17-01(9).jpg

8-17-01(10).jpg

Those are of the base wrapping up under that updraft right east of that one with the tornado. Those storms were both very tiny on radar.

Wow, it's pretty cool to see the whole storm and the tornado, just an amazing shot! Definately a mini-sup there.
[/b]

Actually, that looks like the real deal supercell there! :) Most "mini-supercells" don't feature an anvil, as this storm does. Still pretty cool, though!

Gabe

Nice pic. It appears there may be another funnel associated with the lead (right) updraft. If you look just above the right most tree, (in the group of four) there looks like a second funnel.

Edit: Well if this is looking east, then the right updraft would be along the flanking line, and not the lead updraft. Anyway I think there is a funnel under there.

Back