• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

Introducing: Stormtrack Discord, the Online Forum Alternative for a New Generation of Weatherers

Steve Miller

Owner Emeritus
Staff member
Supporter
In January, Stormtrack staff introduced the Stormtrack Discord. What is Discord, you ask? It’s a brilliant cross between live chat and a forum. It boasts similar topics as the Stormtrack Forum, but in a completely fresh, fast-paced format that can be compared to that of Slack or Hipchat.
1*df1xtsI4uhuQiu2R9W7Dmw.png

A simple interface you can install on your PC, Mac, Android or iOS device.
Stormtrack Discord caters to the new generation of weatherers. It’s already 580+ members strong, filled with people from all over the world who like to talk about the weather, and especially storm chasing. Discord appeals to the younger demographic too. This provides the opportunity to introduce new people to chasing and help them get on their way, the right way. Please join me in helping with that process by participating!
1*NunFvsnS1UcLut4TGPFnfw.png

Stormtrack Forum and all of its content aren’t going anywhere. We plan to integrate Discord into the forum platform later in the year.

Original article: https://medium.com/@SteveMillerOK/i...r-a-new-generation-of-weatherers-ab44f5890fae

Yes I really like Discord for in the field. I am trying it from the desk this week. Hope to be in the field later in May. From a PC and home/hotel I still like Storm Track the best for detailed discussions. Discord is the perfect extension into the field and mobile. Thank you Admin for setting up the Discord room. This is going to be a fun season!

I'm rather old fashioned for my age bracket and am a bit resistant to change, but Discord has worked out well for the brief time I've been on it (last few weeks or so). Not sure how much I'd actually use it in the field vs when I'm just watching stuff at home, but the overall simplicity is nice.

Discord indeed is a gem for us who really do not want to get bogged down on social media. Discord uses less memory, data and battery than social med. I'm guessing since it was first designed for gamers, speed needs (simultaneous) require low data/battery use. I'm not a gamer but I love it for storms. Very cool!

Question for @Steve Miller about Chaser Chat: Can anyone in the field post there if actually chasing? I read Field Comm is registered chasers only, but it did let me post in Chaser Chat. Like to help those in the field a bit. I plan to join them next trough..

Anyway @Drew T I would not let it get me bogged down in the field. However as a Met I/we can help out a little with targeting if a moment permits. Pictures can wait until after and/or Storm Track. I also try to report to NWS (public safety) unless they've already got a PDS warning. In that case report next day for verification. Cheers!

Discord says I'm not authorized to post on the ST threads. What's up?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Stormtrack mobile app

You have to select your experience level before you're allowed to post if I remember correctly. Its been a while since that was implemented but have no idea if it's still in place. Otherwise just PM a mod on discord and they should be able to get it sorted.

So, I have the discord app. I am connected to ST and another server. I can look at the stormtrack discord. However I do not see anyway of registering, commenting, or interacting of any kind. I keep seeing posts that say I need to register as storm chaser or advanced etc but I don't see a place to go to actually do that. Any help would be appreciated.

So, I have the discord app. I am connected to ST and another server. I can look at the stormtrack discord. However I do not see anyway of registering, commenting, or interacting of any kind. I keep seeing posts that say I need to register as storm chaser or advanced etc but I don't see a place to go to actually do that. Any help would be appreciated.

David,
You go the the room called #experience-level and click the number that corresponds to your experience level. Channels will open up after you make that selection. Hope this helps!
2018-07-18_10-37-38.png

Question for @Steve Miller about Chaser Chat: Can anyone in the field post there if actually chasing? I read Field Comm is registered chasers only, but it did let me post in Chaser Chat. Like to help those in the field a bit. I plan to join them next trough..

Hit me up on the Discord and I'll adjust your account accordingly. Yeah, the Chaser role is designed for active chasers to get quality nowcasting specific to their location.

Hi Steve, thanks for the suggestion, but I don't see an experience-level room. These are all the rooms I see.View attachment 17251View attachment 17252View attachment 17253

Okay, so the experience level system and most of the stuff associated with it are things that I setup. So I'll try and help you. First off, it appears that you can see all channels. This means that you already have a role. Secondly, it seems like you cant post in most of these channels. There's a system in place that limits what experience levels can post in what channels. If you've assigned yourself a role, or had one assigned to you(for what ever reason) you won't be able to see the #experience-level channel, as it's set up to disappear after you use it once. This is to prevent people from abusing the system.

So it sounds like you already have a role of some sort because you can see all the channels that are available to a typical member. If you can't post(which is what it sounds like) you probably have the beginner role for some reason. To help you further, I'm gonna need your discord ID. You can either PM me on discord and I can help you that way, or you can post it in here. Your discord ID looks like this "ThunderRolls#6841" and is found in the lower left-hand corner. I can use this ID to look up your specific account information and help you that way. Or you can just PM me on discord and that would work as well.

647fb19f73326b7bc63424ebc4307fd9.png

Picture of what your Discord ID looks like.

Okay, so the experience level system and most of the stuff associated with it are things that I setup. So I'll try and help you. First off, it appears that you can see all channels. This means that you already have a role. Secondly, it seems like you cant post in most of these channels. There's a system in place that limits what experience levels can post in what channels. If you've assigned yourself a role, or had one assigned to you(for what ever reason) you won't be able to see the #experience-level channel, as it's set up to disappear after you use it once. This is to prevent people from abusing the system.

So it sounds like you already have a role of some sort because you can see all the channels that are available to a typical member. If you can't post(which is what it sounds like) you probably have the beginner role for some reason. To help you further, I'm gonna need your discord ID. You can either PM me on discord and I can help you that way, or you can post it in here. Your discord ID looks like this "ThunderRolls#6841" and is found in the lower left-hand corner. I can use this ID to look up your specific account information and help you that way. Or you can just PM me on discord and that would work as well.

647fb19f73326b7bc63424ebc4307fd9.png

Picture of what your Discord ID looks like.
Thanks for the response Harrison. My Discord ID is StormtrooperElite #3125. I would consider myself to be in the advanced category or the storm chaser category.

Thanks for the response Harrison. My Discord ID is StormtrooperElite #3125. I would consider myself to be in the advanced category or the storm chaser category.
ur

I used that ID and it's not showing up in any of our members lists. Try sending me a friend request at ThunderRolls#6841?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found you manually. I sent you a PM, we can figure things out there.

Are you still accepting people on Discord?
Hey Chris, yes we are! We had around 30 apps during the weekend weather so yours may be caught up in that bottleneck. That reminds me - thank you to the Discord volunteer staff for all you do! Y'all are awesome!

This may sound like a weird question, and it's overall not a huge deal, but I'm just weeks away from graduating from college and I'm curious if I pick "advanced" now if it'll be an issue to change my experience level to "meteorologist" in a few weeks. I'm not expecting anyone here to give me an issue, I'm referring more to the software side of things. Like I said, not a major problem, just something I got to thinking about while reading this thread.

Back