I'm Pro-Tornado and you should be too! (read at your own risk)

After reading this please send all hatemail to me at...

I apologize for starting a new thread for this and I realize that this has been talked about multiple times. But my post is so big I felt it warranted a thread of its own. It's also the opposite of what a lot of people have been saying.

I am starting to tire of all the concerns for people who cheer/get excited when tornadoes cause property damage or even take human lives. Shouldn't you be taking knitting lessons instead? Whether people vocally cheer for a tornado or not, it can be argued that the act of showing up to see a tornado in the first place is, in itself, cheerleading enough, without having to say a word.

I would also like to point out that, while still tragic, the number of people who die by tornadoes pales in comparison to the number of people who die by getting struck by lightning. I've never heard anyone condemn lightning photographers for taking pictures of lightning.

Death is a reality that we all must face sooner or later on this planet. If you haven't made your peace with God then it may be a good idea to do so.

I know that no chaser wishes anyone to get hurt. But these are tornadoes we're talking about and our attraction towards them comes from their beauty AND their power. The fact is that tornadoes and destruction go hand in hand. If you chase storms, sooner or later, you're going to see tragedy. These events are out of anyone's control.

You drive hours upon hours just for the chance to see a tornado and many times you don't even see a decent storm. It's only fitting to get excited when you finally do see something.

For me it's getting to the point where I feel like I must vocally say something while filming about how I hope people are okay, or I must say "oh this isn't good, oh no..." just because so many people complain about chasers being insensitive. If my house got demolished by a tornado, I'd most likely be a couple blocks away hooting and hollering in excitement. I mean I might as well enjoy the view.

Now I'm not gonna wish to see things like homes get destroyed, or say "hooray, that person's house just got demolished," but tornadoes are extreme events, and with that comes overwhelming emotion that is sometimes difficult to contain, express, deal with, etc.. It's hard enough to not sound like an idiot on camera when nothing is going on, but it's even harder still when one of the most powerful forces on earth is unfolding before your eyes. I see nothing wrong with people expressing their amazement at the power of a tornado, and often that amazement comes in the form of screaming.

Another thing is that I'm always interested in trying to guage a tornado's strength. It's not easy to see how intense a tornado actually is unless it comes into contact with something destructable. Call me sick, but I enjoy seeing things get destroyed, just like when I was a little child and I built things with lego blocks so that I could pulverize them. It's just inherent in me. And when you see tornadoes doing what they do best, not many people can say they didn't enjoy watching it happen.

I'll be completely honest and I'll probably get severely scolded for it too, but I enjoy it all. I'm not gonna go through all these charades and act like I'm a saint because I'm obviously not. But I also think it's stupid to be a storm chaser if you can't get past pretending to not enjoy the destructive force tornadoes possess. I find it pointless to supress the passion I have inside me for tornadoes and what they can do if, when it actually happens, I pretend to not love every second of it. I don't celebrate the death of anyone! But I can't stop chasing storms and the tornadoes they produce anymore than I could stop driving my car, just because car wrecks kill thousands of people everyday.

There, I said it. Think of me what you will.

I wont bash you personally cause you were very honest in your post. We all have the right to our opinions and feelings. That being said...

Nobody should hope for destruction. Any human who does has more problems than we can deal with on a forum. Mostly its a lack of life experience (age) and limited experience. No you shouldnt stop chasing because people die just like you shouldnt stop driving because there are wrecks. But there is a huge difference in driving and hoping there is a wreck so you can see some damage. thats morbid.

And the whole point of the other thread isnt just about cheering when you see a tornado. We all love to see tornados. Its cheering when somebody at that moment may be dying and the public perception of acting that way. We have enough public image issues with the way some chasers drive or clog up roads. Cheering on video as somebodys posessions or even life is being destroyed is childish. Morbid, and lacks any kind of human compassion. Also I have noticed most of the chasers who get so excited on video are younger and newer to chasing. They have limited experience and maturity so their adrenaline gets the better of them. We all get excited when we see a tornado but some have the maturity to know when to cheer and when to pray.

I dont mind destruction as long as its things like trees or abandoned old farm houses and I get as excited as anybody but to get excited over somebodys current livelihood is wrong. You say if your house was being destroyed you would still cheer. I seriously doubt that. especially if you knew your family was possibly inside.

maybe if you dealt with life and death close up on a regular basis as I do you would see things differently. I have seen death first hand from tornados, flooding, fires, wrecks, guns, etc.. You never cheer or get excited when you see it up close.

Like I said as you mature and gain experiences in life and chasing I think your perspective will shift some. There is nothing wrong at all with having a passion for severe weather and chasing. Thats what has kept me on the road chasing for 22 years. But I also changed the way I felt and acted about what I saw as I got older.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that I cannot control the weather, I can only predict it to a certain degree of accuracy. I choose to chase tornadoes for a number of reasons. I can't stop a tornado from hitting a town, but at least I can document and report that tornado and maybe help save a life. It would sure be a shame for a tornado to destroy a house and there be no video documentation of that tornado. It's not like the chaser can actually do anything to prevent the destruction.

There are people who think storm chasing is wrong when destruction is occurring, or when people are dying. But I think the people in a town would find comfort in knowing that there are/were chasers following the tornado, giving detailed reports of it's location and movement. Not only that but many people are greatful to find footage of thier house, or their brother's/sister's/friend's/mother's house getting destroyed by a tornado. I mean seriously, if I was out of town and my house got leveled by a tornado, I know I would want to see video of it getting hit.

I've received emails from victims thanking me for being there tracking the tornado, reporting it, and shooting video. I guess they like to have video of the "beast" that destroyed their life. I think the tornado becomes a part of their life and they want to see what it looked like, or maybe they just want to always have a record of what happened.

What it all boils down to is most chasers are doing the public a service.

I just wanted to say thanks for the feedback. It's good to see things from different people's points of view.

I feel like my post may have been a little over the top, but I did want to say exactly what I was feeling inside. I guess I was just getting to the point where I was hearing so many people caution others, on how excited they get when they are filming tornadoes, that I wanted to ask what's the point of chasing if you're not going to show a little excitement.

Perhaps I really started taking notice when someone in an earlier thread mentioned that we've had a really good start to the 2007 chase season, (which I highly agree:D). Then someone said in reply that we need to be careful about what we say because people are grieving for loved ones that were killed by some of these recent tornadoes.

Since then there has also been some discussion on tornado cheerleading, and discussions on being careful about what you say on camera. While these are all good to keep in mind on any given chase, it shouldn't get to a point where we start robbing people of their enthusiasm for storms anytime they display the slightest amount of excitement.

I do understand that, at times, it is good to use discretion about the things you say when shooting tornadoes, especially when people's property and lives are being affected.

It's a really hard line to follow between getting too excited when chasing on the one side, and going overboard with making yourself not show any enthusiasm at all on the other side. I think I can understand where people are coming from on both sides of the line.

Again, thanks for your posts Jay and Jim. I really appreciate your thoughts.

I don't think there is a "real" chaser (that I know of) who actually is happy when a house is destroyed. I mean, the sight is amazing, but no one really feels like "Gee, I hope it hits that house. That would be really cool to see it fly." No doubt, it is nothing short of amazing to see such a display, but I know that most (all?) chasers do not have such sadistic inclinations.

So, in essence, I believe that more chasers agree than disagree about this subject, but I think that some folks get a little antsy at the appearance of celebration of death and destruction (and rightly so). If there is the potential of someone's life or property being destroyed, I keep my mouth shut. Quite honestly, though, I really couldn't contain my enthusiasm last Wednesday. To see such an atmospheric spectacle was nothing short of awe-inspiring.

Regarding video, I couldn't care less about what I say on video since I only shoot video for my own usage and pleasure (at this point). Granted, I don't curse or make crass remarks in my video, so this isn't even an issue.

If you don't like hearing "WOOHOO!" or "YEEEEEEAAAAAAH!" or "That's a big puppy!" when a tornado touches down that you are watching, be sure not to film next to me! lol :p

Gabe

Hi to all...

I've never been to tornado chases before but I'm expecting to do it in a few years from now when I have more possibilities = money ;). Anyway I've seen a lot of tornado footage specially from Jim Leonard and I would be very excited if I see one of those 1/2 mile monsters some day. For now I will compensate that with waterspouts here in Puerto Rico.

I've chased hurricanes on the past few years and I've seen others hit my house directly here in Puerto Rico. Many people asked me why I liked destructive events such as hurricanes and in my childhood I had this inner fight with my conscience about if I was wrong in liking hurricanes, tornadoes and other extreme weather events. I came up with the conclusion that I was'nt wrong, that it is just nature. I also knew that I did'nt like the destruction of houses and death of people during hurricanes, but that it was more a responsibility of us as a society to preopare to such events, because we lived in the hurricanes/tornadoes path.

Several countries have shown that it is very possible to minimize death and/or property destruction a lot during tropical cyclones, some examples are Japan, Guam, Cuba, Cayman Islands and other places.

Anyway it is very exciting to document post-storm footage of the damage, specially to the vegetation, this is because it tells a lot of the intensity of the storm and it helps to determine it, just by looking how the trees looked after the storm. I do'nt document storm damage for the pleasure to see a destroyed house and I think the majority of storm chaser's will agree. Also it is very exciting to see a roof flying away during a hurricane, but that is at the moment and from a chaser's perspective. One can only wish there was no one there at that point, because one knows there is going to be destruction and potential deaths when a tornado or a hurricane hits.

Again this is not directly tornado-related but is certainly similar and is connected with it. It depends on our societies to prepare for such extreme events and storm chasing has been positive in research and documentation which therefore has helped for preparation and life savings. That's what is so great about storm chasing, that it drives many of us due to the passion and excitement to see the storms and it ends up helping the society in many ways...

Jose

Regarding video, I couldn't care less about what I say on video since I only shoot video for my own usage and pleasure (at this point). Granted, I don't curse or make crass remarks in my video, so this isn't even an issue.

If you don't like hearing "WOOHOO!" or "YEEEEEEAAAAAAH!" or "That's a big puppy!" when a tornado touches down that you are watching, be sure not to film next to me! lol :p

Gabe

Sharing and/or selling video seems to be at the crux of the matter. If you don't plan to show the video to anyone other than people who already know you well, then it probably doesn't matter what you say or do.

It's perhaps a different matter when you're right next to the people impacted, or you show up moments later and can't stop rattling on about that awesome tornady that just wrecked their lives. It's all pretty simple - do what you want if you keep it largely to yourself, and be more careful and considerate if you intend to share your reactions with others.

Rich T.

Sharing and/or selling video seems to be at the crux of the matter. If you don't plan to show the video to anyone other than people who already know you well, then it probably doesn't matter what you say or do.

It's perhaps a different matter when you're right next to the people impacted, or you show up moments later and can't stop rattling on about that awesome tornady that just wrecked their lives. It's all pretty simple - do what you want if you keep it largely to yourself, and be more careful and considerate if you intend to share your reactions with others.

Rich T.

This is true. My post above probably made it sound like I'm sort of yahoo, but I'm just trying to be honest that I get excited when I see a tornado. I've seen a number of videos from well-known chasers who get very excited when they see a tornado. I'm sure this is true for just about anyone who chases.

Just for the record, I try to be considerate in my commentary when a tornado is about to hit something. Tornadoes don't generally hit a whole lot, so I generally don't have to exercise too much restraint. Regardless of whether or not I'm filming, I certainly have compassion on those whose lives are impacted by the storms I chase. I still remember distinctly the sinking feeling from May 4, 2003 when I learned that the Pierce City tornado that I had just observed had killed people while I was watching the tornado.

I just wanted to clarify that I am not insensitive when it comes to tornadoes destroying property and life. I merely wanted to agree that I get very excited and make joyous exclamations (at times) when the nader is doing its thing. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Gabe

I was in a group following the Pierce City tornado as it ripped through Monett and other towns. It's a mesmerizing and awesome, but sickening sight to see a spray of debris that you know is the remains of families' properties and lives. My contribution to the tape was, "Oh s**t no! Don't do that! Not here!" over and over again." It didn't pay the slightest bit of attention to me which, I'm quite ready to admit, made the whole thing incredibly cool.

You can't please everyone. To some, you The Chaser will always be a lesser person for enjoying an often violent display of Nature, regardless of your sincere concern and respect for those affected. To those people the only legitimate sincerity is to swear off your love of severe weather. So it's best not to worry too much about those people, and simply focus on being the sort of person whose genuine concern shines through when appropriate.

An interesting topic... my thoughts on tornadoes are they are going to do their thing whether I am there or not... there's nothing I can do about that. I can only hope that I am around when it does happen.

I get emails and such about this a lot... the "do I root for death and destruction" stuff. Obviously that is far from the case... I would be thrilled if every tornado I saw limited themselves to open fields, wooded areas, or maybe the occasional Wal-Mart or Starbucks :p (assuming all people inside were safely tucked away someplace). Unfortunately, that's not the case.

I've been fortunate that the dozens of tornadoes I've seen have been limited in their impact to life and property. However, I don't have to pretend when I say "oh no" or something to that effect cause it is something that I wish hadn't happened. Yes, it makes for an amazing sight. I'm sure any of us who have seen the McConnell AFB (Andover) or OKC tornado footage sit and stare in awe and amazment of the power. Hell, I'm sure there have even been a few that have said, "Damn, I wish I were there." I know I have, but not because I want to see death and destruction; its inevitable and I have no control over that. But being the pursuers we are, seeing that site in person is probably an event which will be etched in their minds forever. Obviously I would never wish for such an action, nor am I going to cheer it on like some morbid freak, but I think its safe to say that chasers as a whole will always be fascinated with the power of tornadoes. Its why we chase, right?

With that fascination comes the chance we will be on the next big tornado which takes life or property. Its something that no one on this forum or in this world can control. But as chasers, its what we go after. No one leaves the house in the morning and wishes for a tornado to be a destructive killer. But if at the end of the day, such an event has occured, I can't imagine those that witnessed it wished they hadn't. Again, we have no control over the power of nature, and its going to happen whether we're there or not... I just assumed be there as a chaser when it does.

As others have said, the bottom line is that tornadoes are going to happen whether we are there or not, whether we are hoping for them or not.

Our interests and passions in life are God-given with a purpose. If it weren't for people who had a passion for tornadoes (or any natural disaster), would we have all of the data and knowledge that we have today? Would we ever have any hope of learning more? Would we have SPC outlooks? Watches, warnings and damage surveys? Would even a fraction of the tornadoes that occur today be reported and warned if it weren't for the passion of chasers?

If I'm going to be called a disaster junkie, I'm not ashamed of it. It's our kind who are largely responsible in the advances in discovery and ultimately the betterment of knowledge of the phenomena we pursue.

Sure, the excitement during someone's home being destroyed may be a little out of place, and I don't condone it. But people should be willing to live with that in light of what the existence of 'disaster aficionados' have accomplished for the benefit of society. Maybe the reason they got out alive when their house was hit was because a chaser called the warning in due to the advances in detection and identification from other 'pro-tornado' scientists.

my thoughts on tornadoes are they are going to do their thing whether I am there or not... there's nothing I can do about that. I can only hope that I am around when it does happen.

No one leaves the house in the morning and wishes for a tornado to be a destructive killer. But if at the end of the day, such an event has occured, I can't imagine those that witnessed it wished they hadn't.

Our interests and passions in life are God-given with a purpose. If it weren't for people who had a passion for tornadoes (or any natural disaster), would we have all of the data and knowledge that we have today? Would we ever have any hope of learning more? Would we have SPC outlooks? Watches, warnings and damage surveys? Would even a fraction of the tornadoes that occur today be reported and warned if it weren't for the passion of chasers?

My thoughts exactly. I couldn't say it any better. I temper my exclamations in certain company or in the presence of obvious destruction, but when it inevitably happens, I'd just as soon be there to document it and even assist if necessary.

The issue at hand, though, isn't whether we should be storm chasing or not. When I started the thread "When the camera is rolling, shut up!" it was aimed at those who sell/donate video to national and local media outlets.

It was a thread I started in response to the video that was going around on CNN showing the Outlaw Chasers practically cheering on a tornado was it was destroying property.

We already have mixed opinions, some which are negative, from the public and especially law enforcement and when video like that goes on national news showing storm chasers celebrating while someone else is suffering, I think it gives us a black eye.

In 2003 a best friend of mine lost everything to one of the May 4th tornadoes, the only thing her and the family had was the clothes on they had on. Everything was lost.

The first video they saw of the tornado that destroyed their house was taken by storm chasers, the audio consisted of "YEAH, THIS IS *($()$ AWESOME.. THIS IS SO AMAZING, THE GREATEST DAY OF MY LIFE". I was there when she saw the video and heard this, and I saw how this hurt her knowing that people were celebrating at the time her life was turned upside down. I had to convince her that storm chasers are not this evil breed of people that wishes upon death and destruction.

This is probably the same story over and over again whenever such video surfaces and just so happens the victim see's it.

I understand what you are saying, Joey. I wouldn't likely even put video of myself hoopin' & hollerin' on youtube, let alone selling it to the media. But I understand the enthusiasm. Unfortunately, there are those who chase and those who call themselves chasers who do not share the same tact. If the video is for personal enjoyment only, it's the videographer's video and business, however distasteful. If it's to be shared, then we all reap the negative attitude toward chasers. How many of those chasers actually read posts such as this one anyway? Maybe one or two will, I don't know.

Back