I'm a long time lurker newbie

• Thread starter Doreen Michelle Henry
  • Start date
"Some may remember last year when 4 inch hail was reported in Rives Jct or Tompkins. I went out the next day to look for damage and saw nothing. Not even leaves blown/knocked down. I would have liked to have been able to submit my observation then"

I was there about 30 minutes after the report, and checked a few dozen cars there were at the park-n-ride and not one showed any sign of damage. Reported that to NWS but they were not phased by it...

Semi-lurker here

I'm also following Stormtrack because someday I would like to chase, but it may be next year or six years from now, God willing. In the meantime, there's a lot to learn...

Originally posted by Chris DeRosier
Welcome!

You're JUST like me...I'm the same kind of Stormtrack member too! I post once in a while but mostly read. I am in absolutely no position to chase since I have a 6, 11, and 12 year old..but hope to someday. I also don't exactly live in \"chase country\" here in heavily wooded Northern MN. But I have been a spotter for several years and a weather buff forever!

So are you going to stick around now that it's back to the old Stormtrack rules?

You may not live in a good chase area but you do have some pretty good storms. I'll never forget the damage in Itasca State Park. I visited the park a few months after what I think was a tornado went through in 97.

My youngest will be 8 next year so I was thinking it would be ok to join my dad in a one week chase in the Great Plains States but with the price of gas who knows if we'll do it. I'll take my 14 (will be 15) year old with us. He's a weather nut.

Are you a mom or a dad? Hard to tell with the name Chirs :D

Doreen

Originally posted by JP Santiago
Ditto here. Three young kids (3 year old twin girls, 4 month old girl) that I stay at home with part-time and work part-time, I'm in no position to chase until they get older. I post a few times here and there, but I prefer reading as I've learned a lot about weather forecasting as I lurked long before registering.

Aren't our children lucky? They will never be caught unaware during a severe storm because they have been taught about weather.

Lots of people think the weather is boring but it affects our lives every day. Look at the sand storm in Iraq that allowed the "enemy" to get closer to their targets. Look at the way crime rises when the weather gets hotter. I could go on and on but I know I'm preaching to the choir.

I'm so happy my children are older so I can start chasing storms once again and the best thing is is I can take my oldest with me. I think that was the only thing my dad and I had in common when I was little, was our love of storms.

Doreen

Originally posted by rdale
\"Some may remember last year when 4 inch hail was reported in Rives Jct or Tompkins. I went out the next day to look for damage and saw nothing. Not even leaves blown/knocked down. I would have liked to have been able to submit my observation then\"

I was there about 30 minutes after the report, and checked a few dozen cars there were at the park-n-ride and not one showed any sign of damage. Reported that to NWS but they were not phased by it...

I probably passed you on the road.

You don't happen to live near Holt and have a tow truck company, do you?

If so we've talked a few times on some other weather discussion board. Might have been Yahoo or MSN.

Doreen

Another mostly-lurker

Seems like we lurkers are all bursting out of the closet on this thread! :D

Like the rest of you folks, I've had a passion for weather for most of my life, but I have never chased, and at the moment I am nowhere near having the kind of in-depth knowledge I'd need to do it safely on my own. And living here in Vermont, I don't get to enjoy severe weather on anything like the scale of those of you further west--although as I mentioned in one of the only posts I've made to Stormtrack, we did have a doozy of a straightline event here recently with 70mph winds and brief quarter-sized hail.

My love affair with severe weather probably started with the Wizard of Oz when I was 4-5 (can anyone else trace it back there too?) but took hold for good (along with a strong interest in geology) during a fabulous earth science class when I was 14. I took one college-level meterology class, but the teacher was a joke and I learned very little of value.

I'm thinking of trying the new Silver Lining Tours master class (that's David Gold's and Roger Hill's gig, for those who don't know the name) in a couple of years, perhaps as a 40th birthday present to myself. My two boys will be a little older then, and I wouldn't feel so badly about leaving them for such a long time. And my husband, while not personally interested in weather, has enough of his own crazy obsessions to understand and be supportive of mine! :wink:

Anyway, I am in awe of the knowledge the folks here have. I don't know that I'll ever be able to devote that kind of time to the pursuit, but in the meantime, it's wonderful to have a place where I can come to learn, to enjoy some vicarious chase thrills, to revel in others' successes and wonderful photography, and most of all, to have a place where my nutty interest is the norm!

Originally posted by Doreen Michelle Henry+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doreen Michelle Henry)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Tom Burgess
Welcome Doreen... My mothers name is Doreen as well. We look forward to your posts. All anyone needs is a love of weather to find this board to be home :D

Your poor mother :p Doreen is a family name on my dad's side. There were 5 of us Doreens 4 of us are Doreen Henry's. I guess my dad's family lacked a bit of creativity. His dad was George Sr. and my dad is George Jr. It did get a bit confusing during holiday visits.

Thank you for the welcome.

DMH[/b]

Hello Doreen,

Glad to see you post. I enjoy reading reports, comments and questions from all chasers. From newbies to seasoned Vets. I've been actively chasing for 5 years (travel from Boston to the Alley) and know that I can learn something from anyone's observations. So you can feel confident that someone (many of us) will have an interest in your contributions.

My name is Doren by the way. And I'm a guy (last time I checked anyway) . :wink: My name the result of my Father's creativity (Variation of Darin).

My entire life people who don't know me – who read my name – assume that it's a misspelling and insist on changing it to Doreen. It's plagued me my entire life. Every new classroom situation, job interview, Sales call ("hello. Is Doreen there?).

Doesn't bother me at all. When I was about 10 I decided that If I let myself be insulted because people made assumptions about my gender, life would be a long road of painful insults....

... sorry to drift off topic. I really just wanted to say "Welcome."

Mind if I call you Doren?

Just kidding.

best

db

Back