If You Missed El Reno (2013-05-31), How Do You Feel About That?

If I was really honest and we'd missed the tornado, I think I'd have to say that I would have some regret - maybe not disappointment as such, but as a meteorologist who's been fascinated by severe storms and tornadoes for as long as I can remember, witnessing something as historical as this is, I think, something of a privilege, speaking personally. I hope I don't have to add caveats about the fact it was a killer, etc etc, because that, I hope, should be completely obvious.

As it turned out, we did witness it, and it was pretty scary for a time.

Missing the Moore tornado in particular touched something off in me. I've never felt more frustrated about missing an event I would never have wanted to witness.

El Reno didn't have that same effect on me. I watched the whole scenario unfold on the radar and on KFOR live stream with horror, not regret that I was missing out on anything, and my sense of it is that OKC got off very light. I'm probably better off for not having been there. It was too dangerous a storm.

But missing Moore was a bitter pill to swallow, and I think a lot of the reason has to do with my limited ability to chase. I just can't afford to do it nearly as often or extensively as I'd like, so having to head back to Michigan empty-handed one day too soon after driving all those miles, knowing that the next day would be big in Oklahoma, was hard on me. I could have afforded the extra day and I badly wanted to stay, but one of the guys had to work the following morning, and there was no getting out of it. He had a responsibility to his employer and his family, and as the driver, I had a responsibility to him. Such responsibilities are honorable and will always come first with me.

But that didn't make things any easier. Watching the debris ball roll across Moore on GR3 while I was driving east through Missouri created an ugly mix of feelings for me. My first thought was, Oh my God! When you see something like that, you just know something horrible is happening.

My second thought was, I'm missing it. After driving all those miles and busting (got just a fleeting glimpse of a rope tornado, not anything to even talk about), that radar image seemed like a slap in the face. I felt angry, like I'd been robbed, betrayed. Which is crazy, of course, but feelings are feelings, no more and no less, and I'm just being honest here about mine at the time.

My third thought, which is the one I've had to wrestle with since, was, Why? Why was I feeling so torn about missing something so terrible, an event that would have have broken my heart and caused me to lose sleep if I had been there? I don't think there's a simple answer; I think there are many components which add up. But the bottom line is, there's a compulsive aspect to chasing for me that can either make or ruin my day and even my week. I don't see that as healthy, and it didn't use to be that way. I use to take my limitations in stride, and busts were just busts: not personal failures, just part of paying my dues as a chaser.

But chasing today is a whole different ballgame than it was when I first got started seventeen years ago. The mindset is more competitive, many more people are doing it and spending gobs of cash and time in the process, and overall I just can't keep pace with it. So I've had to do--and still have to do--some soul-searching. Who I am as a person goes far deeper than chasing storms. And more important to me than being in the mainstream of chasing is having peace of mind, and that requires accepting my limitations, working within them to simply enjoy something I love to do without letting it own me. I find that much easier to say than it is to do, but for me it is a necessity. If I can afford to chase a setup, I will; if I can't, I'll wish those of you who can success--and safety. I hope it will be many, many more years before anything like El Reno occurs again.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be sincere, El Reno chasing day gave me a huge stress for many days after that day. Here are the reasons:
-Tim, Carl, Paul dying;
-a crazy tornado that presents strange accelarations;
-crazy chasers who slam on the brakes like idiots;
-tons of cars (and me) in queue while huge tvs are close and you cannot get away while the patrol is blocking the road without a reason;
-a sceriff is driving like crazy, passing you (going at 50mph) at maybe 90mph while a truck is coming on the opposite side. The truck driver must make a run in a ditch to save his life and not hit the sceriff.
-to feel for the first time that storm chasing is not so safe as you thought before.

I hope that days like this will never happen again.

Missing events I don’t chase doesn’t bother me much unless I missed it due to poor forecasting (e.g. 6-5-10). Sure, I’d have loved to have been witness to the historic El Reno tornado but chasing that event just wasn’t in the cards, such is life. Missing Moore bothered me at first because I was chasing in Oklahoma the prior day but decided to head home instead of chase on 5/20 because I didn’t care for the target area. Sure enough that day’s action unfolded largely in territory I consider less than desirable and even if I had chased I’d have missed Moore anyway because I don’t chase in large metropolitan areas. That likely would have left me with the same feeling of resigned frustration I had after bailing on the Joplin storm minutes before that historic and tragic event unfolded. Missing significant events due to time constraints or conflicts with chasing methods can be frustrating but it’s something I accept without too much regret. Missing amazing stuff like Bowdle causes me much more frustration & regret because I would have witnessed it if not for a bonehead mistake. I’ll probably carry that angst to my grave while El Reno & Moore will be just two of many events that I was never meant to see.

I missed the event on purpose. Looking over data and knowing large tornadoes would be very close to the OKC metro quickly discouraged me from going. I will never go near OKC during a major severe wx event.

I also did not want to go near OKC, but would have liked to see the historic event from a safe distance. Myself and a friend opted to go to Bartlesville from Topeka, because of time constraints. I would like to think that if we had ample time to get down there, we would have gone west of OKC, which would have placed us in a good area. But, who knows what we would have happened in that scenario. We also did not have data, but relied on cell phone call info.

I saw the Edmond tornado on the 19th and the Moore tornado on the 20th so my season was already a success. I wanted to see the El Reno storm and I wish that I would've been there. However, I had a lot of anxiety that day. It just didn't feel right. So I held off on chasing, hoping for a northwest chase. By the time I realized that one storm had devoured the north and south storm it was too late. We spent 3 hours driving in complete chaos due to the mad exodus out of the city. We dodged cars, some abandoned, under every under pass we encountered. I will never again put myself or friends in that situation again. Last, due to our lack of knowledge about weather and knowing what I know now, I feel blessed that I wasn't there!

Back