Hurricane proofing a video camera

Ok Doug,

Next dumb question. Are you doing anything special to reduce the wind noise? That much wind blaring over a standard fom pop filter makes an incredible amount of noise as we've heard in several tornado videos.

Are you using a "blimp", fur cover, or simply watching where you place the mic?

On external mic's I've found that I can reduce the wind noise considerably by using a fur cover. Of course the better quality ones are a little out of my reach for teh few extra db loss, but they do work. From what I can tell, the "blimps" are the best over all, but are generally used on a boom pole assembly and used more in filming movies rather than documentary or news gathering.

Ok, your going to laugh.

Condoms.

Un lubed Condoms. You can pretty much put the whole wireless system inside a condom and tie it off. There hella strong (as you might have guessed) and they stand up to friction so they won't break and their thin enough that audio works just fine.

Just got get the generic condoms are your a cheap...

When I was with Blake during Hurricane Dennis, he busted out laughing at the Condom on my mic of the PD170. Lucky I did not get the ones tip or I would have got a lot of crap from the TWC crew that was there too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back