Hurricane In Kansas??

Sorry

Sorry... :oops: one word too many. I was using SWW as a short version of Severe Weather Watch. It was kinda dumb for me to refer to that acronym with a watch word attached. That's kinda like giving out a tornado warning warning. :lol:

Watch the clouds

You can watch the clouds as they develop on the Goes-12 VIS SAT. At times you will see a large fields of cumulus clouds develop. Then you may see an "edge" develop in the fields with clouds on one side and none on the other. That would be a boundary developing. Other times you can see an outflow boundary showing up as a line of small cumulus trailing the main storms. Those are places to watch for storm development.

Sometimes you will see a line or a mass of clouds coming up on the VIS SAT. If you check with NWS, there may be a MSC discussion about that particular area having severe thunderstorm potential. Then you pay particular attention to that area until the towers starts going up.

I found another VIS SAT web site that shows a good time loop. It shows the rate of development and the cloud movement:

http://weather.cod.edu/analysis/analysis.1kmvis.html

Just click on the state you are interested in and click on visible satellite animation.

Thanks for asking. 8)

Back