hurricane hunter flights

What does a storm chaser have to do in order to take a hurricane hunter flight into the eye of a major hurricane? Ed

Good day,

You must be part of a media group (working for news, TWC, CNN) and have a background check before the flight.

kathhcr1.jpg

I was up in the Gulfstream IV flight (NOAA AOC) over Katrina in the Gulf during late August 2005, helping another hurricane chaser I knew at the time doing stuff for CBS in Miami. I have some pictures as well as katrina stuff below...

http://www.sky-chaser.com/kat05.htm

If you are not part of the media in any way (media outlet, affiliate, etc) it is not easy to get on.

Such inquiries from "non-eligible" parties simply won't get answered, unfortunately, your dealing with the US Government anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wrote to hurricane hunters many months ago and never got a reply. I also have no affiliation with any media source except when I chase with Roger Hill. Ed

They probably didn't reply since you didn't meet the criteria listed in the link posted above.

I checked with the hunters and they want real media only, not ride along for fun chasers so unless you have credited verifiable news credentials, pass a back ground check and their screening process, your not getting on the flight at all.

Back