How do you like to build your Web site?

Just started using Microsoft's Visual Web Developer. Have mainly hand coded in the past, but that takes too long and is severely lacking (for me) in several areas.

Graduated from Frontpage to Dreamweaver about 2 yrs ago.. still use dreamweaver. Im happy with its features.

I tried using Dreamweaver a couple of years ago, but I just didn't like it for some reason. Frontpage added too much junk to the code, so I didn't use that for too long.

I like using Notepad and coding the HTML, and now that I'm learing CSS, it's even more fun. Right now, my page is a half-hearted mix of HTML tables and CSS stuff.

JB

I had been useing Frontpage till this year... Buddy (my son and chase partner) is currently updating our site to PHP... We have an admin log-in area that we are going to use for chase accounts.. all we have to do is log in, put the date, chase info and any pics (file names) and it will automatically make a new page (for that date) for the chase and put everything where it goes, even all the new links on the other pages... pretty cool...

Dave

Originally posted by David Sallee
I had been useing Frontpage till this year... Buddy (my son and chase partner) is currently updating our site to PHP... We have an admin log-in area that we are going to use for chase accounts.. all we have to do is log in, put the date, chase info and any pics (file names) and it will automatically make a new page (for that date) for the chase and put everything where it goes, even all the new links on the other pages... pretty cool...

Dave

That is exactly how I am doing it. I just finished up my chase log submission script a couple of weeks ago... I enter things like the date, chase location, log, etc, and it will create all necessary folders and files/pages. This is considerably easier than copy/pasting old logs then having to rename and upload/FTP them to a new folder. Granted, that wasn't rocket science, but this is easier. I'm currently using breezebrowser pro to make my image pages, but I'd really like to move into a php/msql-based image gallery. That way I don't need to upload the pages made in breezebrowser... Or, as a compromise, it'd be nice if breezebrowser had an auto-upload / FTP engine built into it.

If you're doing web-based content management, make sure that you back up your work frequently. Keep a copy of your chase logs in a Word file somewhere on your computer before posting them. If there is ever a server crash or if you accidentally overwrite/delete photos or text, it's gone for good.

With client-based editing you have two copies of your site, one on the server and another on your computer. Web-based solutions usually remove the client-side backup element.

Good old HTML

I'm still using plain HTML, though I've borrowed occasional scripts and includes for a few gadgets on the site. An include is great for menus, since you change the file once and it's altered throughout the site. FrontPage code looks like a horrible mess when you're an HTML minimalist. I also like plain HTML and small photos because they load fast. I know more and more people have broadband, but I like to be kind to those on dial-up.
:)
Chris K.

Back