Hey Arkansas! Ready for a volcano?

There is a big earthquake fault in Missouri. In 1811 and 1812 I think it was the fault became active and produced over 200 earthquakes. Five of them were 8.0 or higher. One was ten times stronger than the 1906 San Fransisco earthquake and another changed the flow of the Mississippi river from north to south. Something like that could happen again one day. I am not surprised AR is getting quakes considering it is close to this fault.

The current earthquake swarm as well as the ones in the past in the same area are not considered to have any connection to the NMFZ at all in fact its not certain whats causing them. Its most likely caused by a change in fault orientation that occurs across that area.

I dont know the date or exact location but I believe like Matthew said there was a catastrophic earthquake that occurred in MO way back when, and if a similar quake were to happen today...well, you get the idea.

Considering I live about six miles away from the Guy area in Faulkner county (where all the quakes have been occurring), this is definitely of interest to me! I must say - however - I have yet to feel or hear any of these quakes. I would actually like to experience one - once. Just a small one.

This morning we had a 4.4 magnitude one in the same area as all the others. I didn't feel a thing though - perhaps because I always seem to be asleep at between 5AM and 6AM when they all seem to happen.

Yes the Enola Swarm is one of the strings of quakes back 1980s that you can find information online about that is more recent. A good document regarding this can be found HERE.

I guess - if anything - it's actually GOOD that we are having all of these frequent, small tremors. I'm sure we all know the alternative........:(

KP

I dont know the date or exact location but I believe like Matthew said there was a catastrophic earthquake that occurred in MO way back when, and if a similar quake were to happen today...well, you get the idea.

They were in the link I posted above.

Into something interesting? Read the Panther in the Sky article about how it was predicted ahead of time by Tecumseh

Back