HDV editing

I have not worked with my own HD content but I do capture HDTV and if I understand what you're trying to do, it's not that hard. Basic, keyword basic, HD editing isn't that hard. I capture HD content using a special program, then use a program called HDTV2MPEG to convert to standard HD MPEG-2. From there, many programs can edit it. I use TMPGENC 3.0 which has no real editing features other then to cut out scenes you don't want. But it gets the job done for what I need. Although, I'm sure you'd need something much more professional then that.

You'll need some heavy duty hardware. If you can, get Dual Dual-Core processors. Four logical processors should really give editing a kick. Also, I'd say 2GB of RAM should do you fine. A good video card will help as well, the Nvidia 6600 and up series has some nice HD decoding abilities which should be able to take some of the load off the CPU.

I am making the swith to HDV this year. I was wondering what software people are using to edit this.
I will convert to standard Definition for my highlights for now.

What I really want is some software so I can capture the High Definition video and export it back out to the camcorder. This way I can make copies of the original video without buying a second HDV camcorder or recorder.

I was looking at the minimum requirements for Premiere and other packages, they require over 3Mhz processor for HDV. Is this a solid requirement or a "recomendation"?

Charles, why do you want to make another hdv mini-dv format copy? Wouldn't you instead want to output to Blueray, or Hddvd? Plus if you were creating your own compilation wouldn't you want to edit it on the pc before outputting it?

Vegas allows you to capture the raw m2t transport stream which is identical to the broadcast mpeg II stream that almost every television station receives off of their satellite. This is an intensive transfer, but it does take place in real time. A friend claims the latest Windows Media Player can play this natively without rendering. I cannot confirm this. Youtube.com can accept this raw stream as an upload without need to render. Video LAN is a free tool that will allow you to view the m2t stream on your computer without rendering. It can be downloaded here http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Several raw m2t streams have been upoladed to Youtube.com without any rendering. You can view them at www.gobob.com.

This site is one of my favorites regarding articles and such over all things HDV...give it a look :)

http://www.videoguys.com/HDV.html

Back