HD Camcorder under $2000

That is very tempting. After skimming thru this review it sounds like a good camera too. Though I would do a lot more research before spending that much on a camera. Either way it is nice to see the prices of, HD capable cameas, on the decline.

yes... stay farrrrrr away! One big clue is they have an address in Brooklyn. Not all stores in Brooklyn are bad, but there are HUNDREDS of scam sites online that "deal" out of this area.

Also note that you can't find any sort of customer review (such as bizrate) on the page.

Aaron

Originally posted by Aaron Kennedy
Is that reputable site? It looks like some of the scam camera stores out there....

Aaron

AK, looking at that review there are a few reputable places like circuit city and B&H photo offering that cam for under $2000, 1 cent under :)

Edit: oh, sorry I just noticed the price on that questionable link was under $1700....

The HC1 however is only 4:3 with no digital feed input - I went for the FX1 which is 16:9 with the digital feed!

However as HD take a hold I expect many more HD versions to be issued by other vendors for a sub $2000 price.

It should be noted to all interested that there is yet no delivery method by which one can deliver HDV footage without the camcorder. HD-DVD and Blu-Ray (which sould be out in 4-8 months) will allow for high-definition video, but they are currently still butting heads. I have serious doubts that either will be adopted quickly unless they reach a single, compromise format. Regardless, early burners and disks will likely be quite expensive, so I don't think you'll be able to distribute your Highlights video in HD-quality for some time.

Originally posted by Jeff Snyder
It should be noted to all interested that there is yet no delivery method by which one can deliver HDV footage without the camcorder. HD-DVD and Blu-Ray (which sould be out in 4-8 months) will allow for high-definition video, but they are currently still butting heads. I have serious doubts that either will be adopted quickly unless they reach a single, compromise format. Regardless, early burners and disks will likely be quite expensive, so I don't think you'll be able to distribute your Highlights video in HD-quality for some time.

Honestly, I think it would be almost worth it just to watch on a personal wide-screen, HDTV. Probably be a better picture than actually being there!

I took the plunge on Sony’s HDR-FX1 in March. I remarked at the time that I just bought the cheapest insurance policy for Oklahoma. True enough, lots of beautiful wall clouds this year that refused to cooperate.

For delivery mechanisms, Windows Media 9 does support HD. Rendering through Sony Vegas software is really slow. A thirty second clip takes thirty minutes to render. The same PC will render a hour DVD in about 85 minutes. Unfortunately the bad blood between Blu-Ray and HD-DVD rivals the Beta/VHS wars.

Microsoft has some nice examples:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...ntShowcase.aspx

Both of the Sony cameras are 1080i (interlaced) as opposed to progressive which these examples are.

Ruuuunnnn like its an F5 moving at 50 miles an hour coming straight at you at 1/4 of a mile away.

I looked at the available HD camcorders and decided to buy the VX-2100. This camcorder has the best low light sensitivity. I am always wary of new formats and technologies. My plan is to wait a few years and check out follow-up HD models. By then, there will be second or third generation HD camcorders with better light sensitivities etc. along with better editing capabilities/storage. I am also concerned with the amount of compression as the HD signal is squeezed on to a miniDV tape.
I'd stay with my TRV-900 but it is 5 years old.

It is best to be cutting edge, not bleeding edge.

Bill Hark

Originally posted by Aaron Kennedy
Is that reputable site? It looks like some of the scam camera stores out there....

Aaron
I wasn't recommending the site, merely talking about the camera. Go to Google, click the 'Froogle' link, find the vendor and price you like and go to town. Or find it somewhere else, doesn't really matter to me.

Originally posted by Stuart Robinson
The HC1 however is only 4:3 with no digital feed input - I went for the FX1 which is 16:9 with the digital feed!

Howervger as HD take a hold I expect many more HD versions to be issued by other vendors for a sub $2000 price.
which also costs an extra $1000 or so, but you're right - the 16:9 ratio is important, especially since that's what my TV at home is.

I'm not even close to being in the market for any of these, but I was just surprised that HD units were anywhere NEAR this price range! I may have to have a very short Christmas list this year....... :D

Originally posted by Stuart Robinson
Bob mentioned the Microsoft page with some HDV using the PC as examples. However I see that there is a HDV tornado piece! (94mb) that can be downloaded

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...ntShowcase.aspx

It is on the right hand side about half way down.

Unfortunatley it does not have any Tornado footage in it. It is a trailor for that Stormchasing movie and just has a guy gliding into a storm, in a glider. Still very nice but no Tornado footage as one would think from the links image.

Hey Glenn, its not quit that easy as you said. Stick with B&H or EVSonline.. Many of us shoot high end video or photography and have been taken in our early years by these fly by night operations. Stick with reputable comapnys and just not any vendor.. The reputable company list is really only a few outfits whereas the screw you vendors are many..

My 2c

Fred

Nah... Despite the tornado image that Mixrosoft uses it is just a piece about a glider flying through cloud - still a stunning piece and really shows up well on the PC.

I am a HDV convert...

Watchout!

Good day everyone,

Be very - VERY careful of these sites. Visit http://www.resellerratings.com and type in the store name in question. For "Fotoconnection", I found the link below...

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller3471.html

Tell me if the picture looks anywhere near their site...

0006.jpg

This is another Brooklyn, NY storefront (that looks like the picture above). They take your order and information, then ask you to call them to confirm your order. If you do not buy any over priced accessories offered to you, they either cancel your order or put it on hold for a very, VERY long time (backorder it). Two more similar companies are below...

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller2375.html

And...

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1995.html

These companies will take NO TIME to charge your credit card, but will take LOTS OF TIME to produce the items you ordered. They also specialize in "Gray Market" items, usually shipped in PAL instead of NTSC (for a camcorder), with NO warranty, the batteries, remotes, chargers, all missing (which normally COME WITH the item(s)!

These item(s) are often offered as optional when you call to "confirm", where they will sell a $20 battery for $100 bucks, that's how they get away with the low prices!

Be careful, and remember to visit the http://www.resellerratings.com site for really good information about these "shady" companies.

Now, to order the best deal around, and with confidence, go to http://www.bhphotovideo.com.

Just a warning since I almost got "porked" when I was replacing my stolen gear a few months ago and was extra-cheap after getting ripped off. I found the "Digital Liquidators" site via a photography magazine and figured it was a legit company ... It was a NIGHTMARE - ON TOP of already having my gear stolen!

Luckily, I was able to check the "reseller ratings" site, look at the scariest of the "very dissatisfied" reviews, and cancel the order with "Digital Liquidators" BEFORE the charges were run through. I called my credit card and told them do not accept the charges from this person and it turned out they tried to charge twice the amout TWICE! My "heads-up" to my credit card avoided having to dispute anything because I flagged them not to authorize charges from that company after I cancelled the order!

Scary huh?

Chris,

i wanted to post the same pics but i couldnt find thew links where i found them last time. Theres a website that has all these pics to all the names in the back of the phot magazine.. B&H is one of the only reputable companies out there..

Back