HD Camcorder under $2000

That is very tempting. After skimming thru this review it sounds like a good camera too. Though I would do a lot more research before spending that much on a camera. Either way it is nice to see the prices of, HD capable cameas, on the decline.

yes... stay farrrrrr away! One big clue is they have an address in Brooklyn. Not all stores in Brooklyn are bad, but there are HUNDREDS of scam sites online that "deal" out of this area.

Also note that you can't find any sort of customer review (such as bizrate) on the page.

Aaron

Originally posted by Aaron Kennedy
Is that reputable site? It looks like some of the scam camera stores out there....

Aaron

AK, looking at that review there are a few reputable places like circuit city and B&H photo offering that cam for under $2000, 1 cent under :)

Edit: oh, sorry I just noticed the price on that questionable link was under $1700....

The HC1 however is only 4:3 with no digital feed input - I went for the FX1 which is 16:9 with the digital feed!

However as HD take a hold I expect many more HD versions to be issued by other vendors for a sub $2000 price.

It should be noted to all interested that there is yet no delivery method by which one can deliver HDV footage without the camcorder. HD-DVD and Blu-Ray (which sould be out in 4-8 months) will allow for high-definition video, but they are currently still butting heads. I have serious doubts that either will be adopted quickly unless they reach a single, compromise format. Regardless, early burners and disks will likely be quite expensive, so I don't think you'll be able to distribute your Highlights video in HD-quality for some time.

Originally posted by Jeff Snyder
It should be noted to all interested that there is yet no delivery method by which one can deliver HDV footage without the camcorder. HD-DVD and Blu-Ray (which sould be out in 4-8 months) will allow for high-definition video, but they are currently still butting heads. I have serious doubts that either will be adopted quickly unless they reach a single, compromise format. Regardless, early burners and disks will likely be quite expensive, so I don't think you'll be able to distribute your Highlights video in HD-quality for some time.

Honestly, I think it would be almost worth it just to watch on a personal wide-screen, HDTV. Probably be a better picture than actually being there!

I took the plunge on Sony’s HDR-FX1 in March. I remarked at the time that I just bought the cheapest insurance policy for Oklahoma. True enough, lots of beautiful wall clouds this year that refused to cooperate.

For delivery mechanisms, Windows Media 9 does support HD. Rendering through Sony Vegas software is really slow. A thirty second clip takes thirty minutes to render. The same PC will render a hour DVD in about 85 minutes. Unfortunately the bad blood between Blu-Ray and HD-DVD rivals the Beta/VHS wars.

Microsoft has some nice examples:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...ntShowcase.aspx

Both of the Sony cameras are 1080i (interlaced) as opposed to progressive which these examples are.

Ruuuunnnn like its an F5 moving at 50 miles an hour coming straight at you at 1/4 of a mile away.

I looked at the available HD camcorders and decided to buy the VX-2100. This camcorder has the best low light sensitivity. I am always wary of new formats and technologies. My plan is to wait a few years and check out follow-up HD models. By then, there will be second or third generation HD camcorders with better light sensitivities etc. along with better editing capabilities/storage. I am also concerned with the amount of compression as the HD signal is squeezed on to a miniDV tape.
I'd stay with my TRV-900 but it is 5 years old.

It is best to be cutting edge, not bleeding edge.

Bill Hark

Originally posted by Aaron Kennedy
Is that reputable site? It looks like some of the scam camera stores out there....

Aaron
I wasn't recommending the site, merely talking about the camera. Go to Google, click the 'Froogle' link, find the vendor and price you like and go to town. Or find it somewhere else, doesn't really matter to me.

Originally posted by Stuart Robinson
The HC1 however is only 4:3 with no digital feed input - I went for the FX1 which is 16:9 with the digital feed!

Howervger as HD take a hold I expect many more HD versions to be issued by other vendors for a sub $2000 price.
which also costs an extra $1000 or so, but you're right - the 16:9 ratio is important, especially since that's what my TV at home is.

I'm not even close to being in the market for any of these, but I was just surprised that HD units were anywhere NEAR this price range! I may have to have a very short Christmas list this year....... :D

Back