Hawaii has a robust emergency siren warning system. It sat silent during the deadly wildfires

Matt,

There are multiple news reports that 100% of Maui's EM staff was on Oahu for training meetings and only joined the continuing conference call pertaining to the fires five hours after they started.

Here is one of the many articles: Maui officials were attending FEMA disaster training on Oahu while families burned to death in Lahaina

Evidently, they did not leave anyone behind to "man the store" while the others got trained.
I think we may be talking about 2 different things. Emergency Management and the Fire Service are two totally different things in alot of the country. Or maybe you are trying to make a different point.

Matt,

Sorry I am not being clear.

I am aware EM and Fire are different agencies, but their responsibilities overlap. The head Maui EM was a patronage job (has resigned after saying "sounding the sirens wouldn't have saved even one life"). I thought those went away with September 11.

The overarching point I am trying to make is that the nation desperately needs a National Disaster Review Board that would work like the hugely successful National Transportation Safety Board. You'll find more here: This is Exactly Why the United States Needs a National Disaster Review Board!

In the case of the Maui Fires, the governor said the Hawaii's attorney general was going to investigate. The AG didn't want the job. Then the governor said "an individual" was going to be appointed. Now, if the media is to be believed, it is up in the air.

The NDRB would, like the NTSB, would arrive within hours (NTSB always has a "go team" on duty) and would take over both the site of the fire and the locations where the fire may have ignited (the media is reporting that Hawaii Electric has been evidence tampering). It would take over press relations, like the NTSB.

The International Association of Emergency Managers has a published a letter (see LinkedIn, Allynne Thackston posted on LinkedIn addressed to congress decrying proposed NWS budget cuts. While I do not want to see the NWS's budget cut, I agree that the agency is getting more and more difficult to support.

A National Disaster Review Board would provide political cover when NWS, FEMA and other agencies want to do the right -- but politically difficult -- things.

There are also reports that local LEO blocked roads preventing people from escaping, or directed them back into the fire. Apparently, there are videos posted showing this. The Hawaiian Islands WILL be hit by a tsunami someday, as has occurred in the past. I hope they have learned from this event and do a better job of preparing for the next disaster.

All that said, seeing the major effect on the local winds created by the mountain wave is very informative,
I haven't seen/heard in any of the media (TV/Newspaper/etc) anything about mountain-wave setup being the cause of the wind .. every one of them were putting it on Dora.

Just to clarify - Hurricane Dora was WAY too small and WAY too far away to have been a factor
I'd looked on satellite when the fires were going, & was honestly kinda surprised how far the hurricane was from HI, from the way the news was talking, I expected it to be right near the islands.

I didn't read the linked site in Mike's post, but...
Being where I'm at in Colorado, I've seen/felt the type of wind a mountain-wave can do plenty of times...its just part of living here, you will get mountain waves & windstorms. (and other than the associated mountain wave cloud, its an otherwize clear day/night).
In all honestly the mountain-wave, if thats what happened makes allot more sense to me (than a hurricane that atleast appeared to be pretty far away). Because if that were to happen at the same time as a wildfire, its very simple: you have an uncontrollable disaster on your hands. About the only thing everyone (including firefighters) can do is get out of the way.

Sounds pretty similar to what happened here back at the end of 2021: The Marshall Fire that destroyed over 1000 homes, fueled by drought & more importantly mountain-wave winds.
I'm too far south to have seen flames or anything, but could certainly see the smoke plume & cloud above it.

Only a couple people died in the Marshall Fire here, I have no idea if that area has sirens or if they were used (never saw any mention either way), but it was out on the TV & radio. I think the biggest difference here vs HI is access - here a suburban area with multiple roads for people to evacuate/scatter into the surrounding areas, vs HI an area with very limited roads to get out on (and limited amount of area to go as well).

-----------
With the HI sirens remaining silent, I see that as a tough one:
If to the general population they were known as "tsunami sirens", sounding them would mean people would head inland by default, but then you'd also have people heading away from the fire. Sounds like an even worse traffic mess and allot of confusion to me. Basically a no-win situation.
This is where a multi-tone siren would be helpful....but if and only if the people were well trained on what the different tones meant (and no more than a couple tones were used)

-----------
Were the winds forecast (in particular a mountain-wave if thats what happened?)
Here they'll give high-wind watches/warnings, and when a mountain-wave setup is predicted, media typically won't use that term in the general forecast, but it will be in the local NWS office's AFD.
May be the fact that weather is different here, but that's one thing they seem to be able to pretty reliably predict/forecast.

-----------
Its ofcourse been all over the news & net that the blaze may have been started by downed powerlines, and the power company should have cut power to the lines in that area before anything happened.
but if power companies shut down sections of the grid every time there was wind, they'd be hounded with complaints about running an unreliable system
Ideal solution ofcourse would be that all lines should be underground. Unfortunately due to cost that's just not practical(atleast from what I've heard). It'd also be allot more difficult to do in mountain areas than in flat/plains areas.
Could it be done? Certainly. Should it? I think a hard look at individual areas would be needed - what the weather is like, how 'burnable' the landscape is, etc. Then the big question: who's going to pay for it? if "the power company" in reality that means "their customers" in the form of higher electric rates. If "the government", then that means "taxpayers" (but its also spread over a larger number of people, though only some would benefit from it)

Matt Zumbrunn said:
The Gatlinburg firestorm in 2016 was also the result of mountain waves.
There's another then.
Maybe more attention needs to be paid to mountain waves & catastrophic wildfire potential.

Mike Smith said:
Please see my link to Cliff Mass' blog post on this topic. He, too, makes that point.
An interesting read.

The talk about the mountain-wave setup there, the very dry air & how that all promotes fire growth, it felt just like reading something from here when you get a mountain-wave along with warm dry conditions... ie: red-flag-warning weather.

And reading that they didn't have weather observation stations there. wtf? I was shocked by that.

And reading that they didn't have weather observation stations there. wtf? I was shocked by that.

There used to be a full-time ob at West Maui Airport, ~10 mi N from Lahaina when it had airline service. However, I can't find it these days.

There is a perception, "there's no weather on Hawaii," and so it suffers from lack of support for wx services. A NDRB would do "findings of fact" and "recommendations for improvement" like the NTSB. If we had one investigating the Lahaina Fire, one of its products would be a list of vital locations for obs on Maui.

I cannot independently validate that. However, it is worth passing along as a reminder that prayers and financial assistance are still desperately needed.
Screen Shot 2023-08-27 at 5.36.22 PM.png

I’ve heard it said that the oils/sap of some scrub are up there with kerosene in btu’s

In general…at least some alarm can get people’s heads up…

Back