Hawaii has a robust emergency siren warning system. It sat silent during the deadly wildfires

Matt Zumbrunn said:
The Gatlinburg firestorm in 2016 was also the result of mountain waves.
There's another then.
Maybe more attention needs to be paid to mountain waves & catastrophic wildfire potential.

Mike Smith said:
Please see my link to Cliff Mass' blog post on this topic. He, too, makes that point.
An interesting read.

The talk about the mountain-wave setup there, the very dry air & how that all promotes fire growth, it felt just like reading something from here when you get a mountain-wave along with warm dry conditions... ie: red-flag-warning weather.

And reading that they didn't have weather observation stations there. wtf? I was shocked by that.

And reading that they didn't have weather observation stations there. wtf? I was shocked by that.

There used to be a full-time ob at West Maui Airport, ~10 mi N from Lahaina when it had airline service. However, I can't find it these days.

There is a perception, "there's no weather on Hawaii," and so it suffers from lack of support for wx services. A NDRB would do "findings of fact" and "recommendations for improvement" like the NTSB. If we had one investigating the Lahaina Fire, one of its products would be a list of vital locations for obs on Maui.

I cannot independently validate that. However, it is worth passing along as a reminder that prayers and financial assistance are still desperately needed.
Screen Shot 2023-08-27 at 5.36.22 PM.png

I’ve heard it said that the oils/sap of some scrub are up there with kerosene in btu’s

In general…at least some alarm can get people’s heads up…

Back