Has anyone seen this???

I saw that a couple days ago. Its a shame I havent heard about it from any meteorologists. Maybe the editor has a crystal ball and predicted it himself :?

My mother was ranting about this the other day, but I'm sure she didn't hear it from the Seattle Times (seeing how we live in Illinois, and she can't figure out what a keyboard does, let alone browse the internet). And her knowledge of weather is limited to "Its raining", "Its snowing", and "Oh, the weather must be getting bad. Andrew just flew out the door like a bat outta hell."

She must've heard it on Good Morning America.

This article got picked up by a few web news services over the past few days -I know it was on drudgereport for a couple of days...

The article is misleading. The storms are not striking all at the same time... The storm in the west is just now coming on shore. The GFS has another storm in about 162 hours up the Ohio or MS valley (too early to tell), which will bring down below normal temps for the northern Plains, and the potential for very significant rains.

Originally posted by rdewey
The article is misleading. The storms are not striking all at the same time... The storm in the west is just now coming on shore. The GFS has another storm in about 162 hours up the Ohio or MS valley (too early to tell), which will bring down below normal temps for the northern Plains, and the potential for very significant rains.

The article appeared in my local paper as well - and broadcast folks assumed everyone saw it as posted. I actually hate these type of gross oversimplication issues - and use of misleading terminology ("storms
" instead of "air streams"). Yes - there was a stream of upper level moisture from the Pacific - not a true Pineapple express - but more an ordinary subtropical jet. Since this stream flows over considerable terrain before reaching the plains - it is incorrect to think of this as a moisture laden flow - though the high level moisture does seem to aid in precipitation efficiency. This jet did, however, house the main upper wave that eventually emerrged from the southwest - but this wouldn't have been noteworthy without the stagnant pattern in place prior. In particular, with the stagnant trough in the west and ridge in the east pattern, a long period of flow from the Gulf of Mexico allowed for mid-60 dewpoints to be transported into the central Mississippi River valley, and the battle of the ridges ensued with a ridge across the south pumping up moisture and a ridge to the north holding cold air in place.

Meanwhile, the polar jet did merge with the subtropical jet over the plains - where the former was called the Arctic express in the article - but the cold air in place was resultant from the ridge building over the Yukon which dislodged cold air from that region to slide southward into the Dakotas. There isn't much of a push with this air stream - try and find the jet in upper level charts around this time. Much more unusual is the easterly flow at upper levels off the British Columbian coast. The air in the Midwest was unussually moist for true Arctic air - and if you look at sfc plots you'll see that the true Arctic air mostly remained in the Dakotas region, with maritime North Atlantic air flowing into the Midwest as a surface ridge extended across much of Canada. A unique weather pattern for sure - but the AP description I think leaves a lot to be desired.

Glen

Models are showing a low over central North America next week... Looks like a good set up for southern US storms; might even get some tcu or small cbs in the great lakes region if temps get warm enough. So far, they're calling for 9 C on Wednesday.

I don't think it will be as bad as the media is saying... I think someone just watched Day After Tomorrow one too many times :roll: But I could use some storms here... bring it on! LOL

That was being spoken about last week on the AM Talk Radio show Coast to Coast hosted by Art Bell. Would be interesting to see how this pans out.

Back