Hallam Photo Stitch

Don't know why I never got around to doing this - but this is a stitched image of 5 photos taken of the meso of the Hallam storm on 5/22/04 as it was near Bruning, NE crossing hwy 81. The tornado was touching down off and on at this point (likely off as I took this image) ... wish I could post a larger version of it, and likely will the next time I update my own website, where much larger images are permitted. The detail in the full version is pretty neat ... what I like is being able to actually see the inflow band on the right side of the image.

[Broken External Image]:http://www.photopile.com/photos/mikeperegrine/auctions/181391.gif

That's a great panoramic view of the historic Hallam supercell Mike! After seeing that I am sure that everyone will try to emulate that photo technique. Definitely a great example to point out some of the textbook features of a supercell and will make quite the banner for your website. I am sure Ken Dewey of UNL and others with strong interest in that event would love to see that photo as well.

Awesome, indeed, Mike!

I had never before even thought of trying to produce such imagery. I will now.

That image, to me, sort of makes that storm look "compact". Not LP, just "tightly wrapped", I guess. Would you say that was the case, or is it just something of an illusion from the panoramic image?

Congrats on a really amazing pic.

Bob

Thanks ... if I were to print the image out full size it would be four feet long ... now that would be interesting. Playing with it some more - trying to get the exposures to match in the different images so you don't notice the stitches so much.

Bob - this image spans probably about five or so miles of the horizon I would say (I'm really only missing one or maybe two shots to have been able to make this a full 360 degree view) ... but yeah, looks wrapped up doesn't it. This was probably taken about 10-15 minutes before it started producing the big tornadoes. The RFD was really starting to get its act together here.

That is a great job putting that together Mike. Man that storm was a duzy when it was first spinning up. That photo(s) really does the storm justice.

Mike,

That is amazing. Great job to you and the people who helped you touch it up a little. It looks so good to me that I think even Hollingshead is going to be a little jealous.

:lol:

Darin

Originally posted by Darin Brunin
It looks so good to me that I think even Hollingshead is going to be a little jealous.

ha - well thanks, but I don't think Mike H will be too concerned ... everytime I see his photo of the Coin storm I still throw up a little.

Phenomenal! What a beast!

Mike: what focal length did you use here? You did a great job avoiding frame curvature by taking more and smaller pix, but focal length is good to know as well...

Back