GRLevel3

Questions if anyone can help.

1. Where can I download the latest version of GRLevel3?

2. How do I download the smoothing feature that many of you have incorporated into your radar programs?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Questions if anyone can help.

1. Where can I download the latest version of GRLevel3?

2. How do I download the smoothing feature that many of you have incorporated into your radar programs?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
[/b]

smoothing is only availble on grl2. what they have on grl3 is not very good. :angry:

smoothing is only availble on grl2. what they have on grl3 is not very good. :angry:
[/b]

What do you mean it is not available on Gr3? :huh:

Do you mean the smoothing resolution on Gr3 is poor compared to the smoothing in Gr2?

Now if the smoothing is grayed out and the forced 16 bit smoothing option does not work then your graphics card cannot support the software’s smoothing. That is a hardware issue unique to the individual and not the software as a whole.

Besides downloading GRLevel3, is there anything else that I would need to do to get the smoothing to work or should it be that way automatically?

Right now, it is the typical pixelated echoes.

Besides downloading GRLevel3, is there anything else that I would need to do to get the smoothing to work or should it be that way automatically?

[/b]

Look at the right side of the Gr3 window; you will see a box that says Smoothing, check it off.

If that box is not there or whatever, go to File > Device Settings > Force 16 bit smoothing

If nothing happens after that... ask Mike in the gr3 forums under the support section.

[/b]

If the box is "grayed out", I'm pretty sure this means your graphics card doesn't support the smoothing function used by the software.

Pat

GrLevel3 is a great program. Not exactly sure what was meant by that smoothing comment. All modern graphics card support smoothing, if you have an older card. You can build one that supports it for about $15-20 on ebay.

If you start using GrLevel3, I'd strongly suggest checking out the place files that AllisonHouse provide. They can add some good information.

Correct me if I am wrong but I think I read somewhere that GR2 and GR3 both use the same smoothing algorithm right?

Well, the trial versions anyway, the latest version of gr2 is a little crazy so I don't know, it may not :p

I am just thinking it is easier for the graphics card to support Gr3 since the data res is quite low compared to level 2 right? So if a card supports level 2 smoothing it should support level 3 without a problem. Is this assumption correct?

I have just had that floating around in my head and I need to get it out before I go bonkers! :lol:

I have an old Win98 machine which does not support level anything. The software will install fine but then I will get a graphic card error, a black window and the software will crash. The irony is that I bought a new laptop the morning prior to installing the radar software. If I did not have the new machine I would have gone nuts with the old one!

"Correct me if I am wrong but I think I read somewhere that GR2 and GR3 both use the same smoothing algorithm right?"

No. Level II data is much easier to smooth because of it's higher resolution.

"I am just thinking it is easier for the graphics card to support Gr3 since the data res is quite low compared to level 2 right?"

If it was just smoothing the image - sure. But that's not meteorologically sound. So GR software does what no other display package does and interpolates the data that makes it more representative of the actual storm - and that takes more processing power.

"Correct me if I am wrong but I think I read somewhere that GR2 and GR3 both use the same smoothing algorithm right?"

No. Level II data is much easier to smooth because of it's higher resolution.

[/b]

I thought he did use two different smoothing methods in the GR2 and GR3 apps; Mike mentioned two different methods when someone asked about smoothing a few months ago IIRC. Personally, I don't like how the smoothed GR2 images look -- they look like crayon drawings IMO. Again, I guess I should say "interpolation", though that's the topic of another thread a couple of weeks back.

"I thought he did use two different smoothing methods in the GR2 and GR3 apps"

That is correct. That is why all computers can do smoothing in GR2.

I wasn't a big fan at first, but do find myself leaning more towards the interpolated images (at least for reflect) than non. Again, neither is an actual pic - but what he does sounds more scientifically accurate than the raw data.

A lot of times you won't be able to tell if your computer would be able to force smoothing if you only have the trial version, that feature is only in the 'owners' edition of the program. The best way to find out is to go ahead and get onto the forums on grlevex.com and post your computer specs and somebody I'm sure would be able to tell you if your computer would be able to do it. I know my computer smooths both of them, by forcing, I run a basic Inspiron 6000.

Back