Greentown, Indiana tornado-When?

I'm watching Storm Stories on the Weather Channel and they're doing a segment on an F3 tornado in Greentown, Indiana (featuring video footage of the 8 June 1995 Pampa, Texas tornado :roll: ). They didn't give the date ( :x ), but they did say "the last tornado to hit Greentown was in 1965", so it's got to be more recent than that. Anybody know when this tornado occurred?

Here's the Storm Data report on that tornado:

Event: Tornado
Begin Date: 11 Jun 1998, 07:03:00 PM EST
Begin Location: 8 Miles South West of Greentown
Begin LAT/LON: 40°24'N / 86°04'W
End Date: 11 Jun 1998, 07:21:00 PM EST
End Location: 8 Miles North East of Greentown
End LAT/LON: 40°34'N / 85°52'W
Length: 13 Miles
Width: 800 Yards
Magnitude: F3
Fatalities: 0
Injuries: 8
Property Damage: $ 5.0M
Crop Damage: $ 0.0

State: Indiana
County: Howard

Description:
This strong tornado originated from a supercell which initially produced several funnel clouds beginning northeast of Crawfordsville, passing over Frankfort to Kokomo's south side. This supercell finally produced its tornado just south of Kokomo near Oakford and Center. The tornado damaged a school near Center and caused its most extensive damage in Greentown where over two dozen buildings were destroyed and nearly 200 buildings were damaged. The tornado continued tracking ENE along the N & W train tracks and into WC Grant County west of Swayzee.

And here's a look at that storm on radar:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v118/hoo...980612-0013.png

The 1965 tornado occured on April 11th and had a 48 mile path length, 25 fatalities and 835 injuries (tracked through Clinton, Howard and Grant counties). It was rated F4. The tornado developed at around 0019 UTC.

Originally posted by Andy Wehrle
I'm watching Storm Stories on the Weather Channel and they're doing a segment on an F3 tornado in Greentown, Indiana (featuring video footage of the 8 June 1995 Pampa, Texas tornado :roll: ). They didn't give the date ( :x ), but they did say \"the last tornado to hit Greentown was in 1965\", so it's got to be more recent than that. Anybody know when this tornado occurred?

Just to tack onto the discussion; here is a still photo from 11-April-1965 Kokomo/Greentown, Indiana tornado which you mentioned:

http://homepages.wmich.edu/~b1naftel/Kokom...omo_Tornado.gif

Commenting on 11-June-1998; I was chasing this event; albeit several counties north on the Nappanee, Indiana tornado; and was flabbergasted at the sight of the Greentown, Indiana tornado after the fact. If I can recover/transfer video stills again from this event; I'll attempt to post them.

..Blake..

Back