GR3?

www.grlevelx.com

It's an excellent radar viewing program. GRLevel3 is the Level III radar data from the public NWS Servers. Stays pretty well updated (about every 4 to five minutes in Internet time).

GRLevel2 is a Level II radar data viewing program that uses the higher resolution data from the NWS Radar Archives. Excellent research tool.

Wow... where in the world have I been? :) Looks like I have another program to play with.

*edit*

Okay, apparently I need to buy this. Guess I have something else to save for next month. Now if only level 2 data were live. :)

Don't worry, I asked the same question last week. I felt like I had been on the moon when everyone was talking about it.

Ryan,

Level II data is available on a per site basis via Tyler Allison (www.allisonhouse.com) it's not very expensive but it is per radar site. From all accounts I've heard, it really nice and very little in the way of server slowdowns, etc. It's certainly worth looking at.

I don't think I would try to use it on the raod though. Especially if you're trying to pull the data via cell phone. I don't remember the file size of a full scan that's published, but level II is way more then Level III

GR3 is great software! I've had it for about a year now and was lucky enough to nab it before they started charging for it. This software has everything from echo tops, to attributes, velocities, projected storm path, etc. It also shows warning and plots them on the radar. If you can't afford WxWorx, this is the way to go. The only problem for those who dont have a high speed mobile connection, is that GR3 will not work on a cell phone connection, the speed is not quick enough and I've noticed that the radar download will abort. Also, unlike SwiftWX, you are unable to plot your GPS coordinates, unless that was an update in the purchased version. If you dont have it, or have wxworx, get it! It's a great tool!

Originally posted by Paul Stofer
Also, unlike SwiftWX, you are unable to plot your GPS coordinates, unless that was an update in the purchased version.

Yes, the subscriber version now has GPS integration - so with a GPS device attached and running it will plot your current location on the radar display. Can also, with some additional (free) software, run simultaneously with mapping software such as street atlas. If only there was a way to merge the two..... and have continuous radar feed - and plot surface obs overlays..... maybe in a few more years we'll all have access to that kind of tool (NCAR has these kinds of tools for use in field projects).

Glen

Originally posted by Paul Stofer
The only problem for those who dont have a high speed mobile connection, is that GR3 will not work on a cell phone connection, the speed is not quick enough and I've noticed that the radar download will abort. !

Huh? GR3 uses the same free data sources that the others use (StormPredator, StormLab, etc). I use GR3 with my normal, non-highspeed cell phone data connect all the time. Works like a charm.

New versions of GR3 have a WHOLE BUNCH of new features since the free release stopped months ago.

GR3 uses a standard TCP/HTTP connection to reach time-b.nist.gov,
iwin.nws.noaa.gov, and tgftp.nws.noaa.gov (about 20 KB per radar frame).
Unless those sites are down, the quality and speed of the connection are
the main influences on how it behaves.

Tim

Originally posted by Glen Romine+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Glen Romine)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Paul Stofer
Also, unlike SwiftWX, you are unable to plot your GPS coordinates, unless that was an update in the purchased version.

Yes, the subscriber version now has GPS integration - so with a GPS device attached and running it will plot your current location on the radar display. Can also, with some additional (free) software, run simultaneously with mapping software such as street atlas. If only there was a way to merge the two..... and have continuous radar feed - and plot surface obs overlays..... maybe in a few more years we'll all have access to that kind of tool (NCAR has these kinds of tools for use in field projects).

Glen[/b]

Wait, wait -- are you saying GRLevel 3 has GPS support, or SwiftWX? If GRLevel3 has GPS support, I gotta buy this thing sooner than later.

GRLevel3 does support GPS. However, you will have to load your own county maps, but this gets you street level mapping. I haven't had the opportunity to try the GPS as my laptop won't run the program.

Make sure your laptop will support the program! Download the trial and give it a whirl! Be advised, it's a very CPU and Graphics intensive program. It's ingesting the raw data and creating the image on the fly. Search the board here as well as the GRLevelX.com boards for more info.

I give GRLevel3 five stars, and I'll probably get a license for it (on trial version now) VERY soon. I've been absolutely impressed and I've used it for 'armchair chasing' (just until the season arrives in Michigan).

Back