GPSGate problems

I rearranged my vehicle wiring and cables before this trip, and in doing so hosed my GPSgate setup. I'm trying to fix it now on the side of the road before today's chase and am pulling my hair out. The problem is that I plugged my GPS puck into a different USB port than before, which always causes GPSgate to fail. You have to go back through the GPSgate setup wizard to get it working again, which i did.

The problem now is that GRLevel3 can't see the GPSgate virtual COM ports. The GRLevel3 available port list shows ports 1 and 9. GPSgate has 1 through 5 set. GPSgate won't let me set a port on 9. Why can't GR see ports 2 thru 5? 1 doesnt work because I think that is the one Streetatlas is using, which is working fine.

Any ideas? I'm on Windows 10 and have the latest GRLevel3.

That sucks when you’re chasing. GPSGate uses an XML file for its settings and depending on your Windows version you’d go into file manager, open the tree under your username, then for either App Data, or Application Data, locate the GPSGate folder, then delete that .XML file. Then rerun the setup and see if it fixes it. Let me know what Windows version you’re on and if it’s 10 I’ll boot up my laptop and confirm the exact location.

Last edited:
I figured it out. It is a weird licensing issue with GPSGate. Only the first three ports in the list were actually active - the GPS gate direct, the Garmin emulator and port 1. Those are defaults that have always been there. The rest of the ports showed this error when I clicked on them: "a standard license is required to add more COM ports". I deleted the Garmin emulator and port 1, then added port 2 and 10. Then GR could see 10. For some reason it's keeping me at only 2 active ports. I paid for the license so I'm not sure what is up. Will email Franson about it, but at least I'm back up and running.

I presume you entered the new license key. That Swedish dude Johan at GPSGate is kind of tight with the answers. I hope he has changed!

I reentered the license key, and now I can add more ports. Strange how it stopped working as soon as I switched USB ports.
Changing USB ports is a no no. I've accidentally did that a few times myself. Just putting it in the original and doing a system restore was the quickest for me. Only takes a couple of minutes, but seems like eternity when you're trying to chase.

Back