GPS compatible with Parallels and GR3 on mac

Hey, how's this gps unit in terms of something to get to be compatible on a macbook to be used with Parallels emulating windows xp while running GR3:
BU-353 GPS Receiver
http://www.usglobalsat.com/p-62-bu-353-w.aspx
the site says
--
BU-353 GPS Receiver can be utilized in a variety of applications which require GPS signals to be received and decoded in your Windows laptop or tablet PC, and for Mac users, their iBooks or Powerbooks. Compatible with most all NMEA compliant third-party software,

--
I've been running GR3 just fine using parallels with XP and I've got month-to-month broadband2go so I can just pay as I go for connectivity as needed.
So, is this a good choice for GPS with this set up on my macbook?
Let me know because I'd like to order a GPS soon, finally. Thanks!
[here's broadband2go site: http://www.virginmobileusa.com/mobile-broadband ]

Hey, how's this gps unit in terms of something to get to be compatible on a macbook to be used with Parallels emulating windows xp while running GR3:
BU-353 GPS Receiver
http://www.usglobalsat.com/p-62-bu-353-w.aspx
the site says
--

--
I've been running GR3 just fine using parallels with XP and I've got month-to-month broadband2go so I can just pay as I go for connectivity as needed.
So, is this a good choice for GPS with this set up on my macbook?
Let me know because I'd like to order a GPS soon, finally. Thanks!
[here's broadband2go site: http://www.virginmobileusa.com/mobile-broadband ]

[lecture]Sorry if I'm being redundant from other past topics however, I really suggest that if you're going to run Windows during a chase, run it in a Boot Camp partition. Don't complicate things by adding a couple of extra layers of complexity. I did what you're suggesting back in 2008 and it drove me nuts. If you ever have a GPS issue, you won't know if it's a GPS driver, Win XP, your radar software or the Parallels causing the issue.

You don't want to be trying to diagnose this and chase at the same time.

I use Parallels and Fusion all the time when I'm home to run the weather software in Windows. It works great. But you're really setting yourself up for trouble and also putting an extra burden on the machine to do both OSes at the same. You end up slowing down things when you really need speed.[/lecture over]

Hello Jerry, thanks for the input there. I don't have bootcamp since I haven't upgraded to Snow Leopard yet (a bit hesitant about other programs I have in terms of compatibility when upgrading), but also does it look like this BU-353 GPS Receiver should work with Parallels? Is there a particular GPS that people have had good results with Parallels?

Thanks for people's input. No definitive answer on the BU-353, but in an email dialogue with a Garmin rep about Mobile PC 20x, he said the following:
--
I can tell you from my own personal experience (not speaking from Garmin's perspective) that most customers have been able to use the program successfully on Parallels. I've never encountered one who has called us back with trouble after installing using a Windows environment in Parallels

He also included the caveat, there is no official support for using Mobile PC 20x this way.

Well, mobile pc arrived today along with the GPS 20x and it's fine as far as the map loading in and seeing my location for the mobile pc program but . . . GR3 doesn't seem to notice that there is any GPS device. I go to "file" then "gps" then "start" and it directs me to select "com port" but there aren't any com ports to choose from. Any tips on adjusting things here? I'm not thrilled either that there doesn't seem to be room for my machine to plug in the GPS usb and the Broadbandtogo at the same time. I'd have to pull out the USB for connectivity to check GR3 and then pull it out and plug in the USB for GPS to see where I am--totally defeats the purpose of purchasing this stuff. However, I could use a USB HUB, adds more clutter though to the front seat.

the HUB idea isn't even viable it turns out after testing--power too low and GPS not detected. Looks like I'll need to add the requirement of bluetooth gps compatible with gr3
and just return this mobile pc with the 20x gps.

You need to be getting the signal into Windows (inside of a parallels VM in this case) in an NMEA format to then feed into a virtual splitter such as Delorme's or GPSGate. No matter the GPS unit, you can't escape the part of needing more software to share the connection.

Hi John, ok, so even though Garmin mobile PC will load and the map in Windows XP will show my location on the map accurately, I need an additional program (GPS gate) to share over to GR3? So, there's no GPS unit that I can just get and GR3 will just quickly pick up that there's one available and load right in? This would also be needed for using a GPS device for something like Google Earth right? And is there a bluetooth GPS device you'd recommend because I've got the problem now of not having enough space to stick in the GPS USB receiver because the broadbandtogo usb device is too wide.

The Garmin rep found a solution: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/downloadsDetails.jsp?id=1627&product=010-00321-
00&cID=139&pID=6445

Spanner worked to set up a Com port. GR3 found it just fine. That was free also. Now, I'm waiting for USB extension cord to see if that will work with the Broadband2go card ok, then finally, things will be looking ok. Next, wondering if I can find a laptop stand that will work for my small vehicle front seat area.

I am having the same problem, there are no COM ports listed in Parallels windows XP- how do I fix this? I am a total Windows dope, always used macs.

Back