Good deal on a USB GPS puck

I was looking for a backup for my Globalsat BU-353 in case I lost it or it malfunctioned while out in the Plains this spring. I found the old 2008 version of Microsoft Streets and Trips for sale on Amazon.com with the Microsoft re-branded Pharos USB GPS puck with the Sirf Star III technology for $22.89. That's a pretty good deal for the GPS puck, and you get a 2 year old copy of Streets and Trips to boot. I figured the roads in most rural areas in the Plains have not changed all that much, and just for the GPS puck it's worth the $23.

I tried it out chasing yesterday and it worked just as well as the Globalsat unit, but it does not have a magnetic mount, is not water tight, and is not as robust. But it locks in very quick and was able to lock in on the first floor of our two story house.

Here is a link to it for those who are interested. Throw in another little $2-3 trinket and the shipping is free.

Per the other ongoing topic about GPS right now...Will this work with Windows 7 64bit? I've always used Delorme and been happy with it, though now that I have Windows 7 64bit, it sounds like I need a new setup to get GPS functioning again...

I'd just get a new one. I doubt DeLorme is going to update the puck serial emulator anytime soon. I'd be happy if they did, but they seem to be incredibly slow to get with it in that arena.

Per the other ongoing topic about GPS right now...Will this work with Windows 7 64bit? I've always used Delorme and been happy with it, though now that I have Windows 7 64bit, it sounds like I need a new setup to get GPS functioning again...

FWIW, I have Windows 7 Ultimate my laptop, but it is not 64 bit. Microsoft does not even list their own GPS unit in their Compatibility Wizard. But the unit is a Pharos 500, and they have a 64-bit driver on this page about 3/4 of the way down for Vista. I would bet it would work for Windows 7 also, at least the Professional and Ultimate versions. I also found a link to what looks like their chip maunufacturer on the Pharos support website, read the thread here and decide for yourself.

But I can attest, it works flawlessly with 32-bit Windows 7.

Back