Fujita's Super Outbreak Map

Joe Nield

EF5
There is a framed copy of Fujita's Super Outbreak map in my office that I would love to have. Unfortunately, that can't happen. Does anyone know offhand where I could get ahold of one?

A long shot, I know, but just in case...

Thanks.

That one is similar, but the one we have here has a text listing of all the tornadoes, and graphs of their times, damage numbers, etc., and the map itself has rivers and topography on it.

superoutbreak map

I got one of those from Dr Fujita himself, and Roger Wakimoto at the University of Chicago. I had a gig there and just drove over one afternoon without directions or invitation. I found the building, went upstairs and walked around until I found that large tornado simulator. Roger (a grad student at that time, if I remember correctly) came out, and brought out Dr. Fujita, who wore a white labcoat. I was too awestruck to do anything but shake his hand and say "Thank you for all you've done." He was gracious, but busy. That was in 1983 or '84.

It was very detailed, and of local interest due to the Huntsville tornado in that outbreak. Wish I'd asked him to sign it.

Now I'm wondering where it got stashed away...

Dave Gallaher
Huntsville, AL

I took a glance at that map linked above.. tornado #50, where exactly is that? It looks like Pickaway County, Ohio. I grew up there and am curious!

I took a glance at that map linked above.. tornado #50, where exactly is that? It looks like Pickaway County, Ohio. I grew up there and am curious!

Event: Tornado
Begin Date: 03 Apr 1974, 1618 CST
Begin Location: Not Known
Begin LAT/LON: 39°36'N / 83°00'W
End Location: Not Known
Length: 1 Mile
Width: 10 Yards
Magnitude: F1
Fatalities: 0
Injuries: 7
Property Damage: $ 25.0K
Crop Damage: $ 0.0

Description:
None Reported
Source: NCDC Storm Events

Mike

What a map... I'm going to print an 8x10 and frame it. BTW, I have been very impressed with the digital prints from Walgreens. It's one of those systems where you insert your media card and select what you want. It takes a few hours and it's done.

The Pickaway County tornado was produced by a supercell that developed in the Cincinnati area. It had a pronounced hook on radar and produced some funnel clouds before that tornado.

Joe, I'll have to find it first, and see what it looks like. I used to have it hanging on the wall (thumbtacks, not framed), but that was many years and several moves ago. Not sure if I want to let it go.... But I will try to find it, at least---perhaps someone here would have a scanner large enough to reproduce it, if that's not a copyright violation.

Have you thought of contacting the University of Chicago where Dr. F worked? They might still have some originals.

dave

Have you thought of contacting the University of Chicago where Dr. F worked? They might still have some originals.

I looked on their website but it appears they no longer have a met. department. Perhaps one of their libraries may have it, though.

Back