• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

First Aid Kit

Aside from the standard 'off-the-shelf' first aid kits available in most pharmacies, what additional items would you recommend to carry in a first aid kit? Greater quantity of gauze pads? More wrapping tape?

I am just curious what others are carrying for when/if they come upon an injury.

Brian

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Stormtrack mobile app

That really depends a lot on what you are trained to do. The pre-packaged kits from stores are really not much more than boo-boo kits. Those kits are next to useless if you come across a serious car crash or trauma caused by a tornado. The most important thing is to have training to recognize and stabilize injuries until ALS is there to relieve you. That being said, you can't go wrong with loading up on sterile solution (or bottled water) lots of gauze and tape, flexible splints and corresponding wrap. At the very least, you'll then be prepared to rinse out eyes, cover wounds and splint breaks. Some medical training is the most important though.

Todd is right... training is far more important than having a ton of supplies that you don't know how to use.

That said, once you get your training (American Red Cross [First Aid, CPR, AED, and/or BLS], Community Emergency Response Training [CERT], Volunteer Firefighter, EMT, etc), then you can find a medic bag that has supplies that matches your training.
http://www.redcross.org/ux/take-a-class
https://www.citizencorps.fema.gov/cc/searchCert.do?submitByZip

You could be looking at anywhere from $100 - $1,300 for your supplies and bag.
https://www.google.com/search?q=medic+go+bags&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=medic+go+bags&tbm=shop&*

Oh, and don't forget personal protection! Gloves, respirator mask, helmet, etc. You can't help anybody if you become a victim.

Unless you are trained you should leave it to people that are. Good Samaritan laws cover you for what you are TRAINED for only.

If you are trained then it is up to you how much you take as it is amazing how much packs have in them now.

I have a few different packs but they are mostly the basic first aid stuff that I have training for. Mostly blankets, gauze, splints, etc. I also try to have comfort stuff like stuffed bears for kids with me.

I do also carry a rescue kit which includes bars, hammers, etc but I have not had to use them yet.

Aside from the standard 'off-the-shelf' first aid kits available in most pharmacies, what additional items would you recommend to carry in a first aid kit? Greater quantity of gauze pads? More wrapping tape?

I am just curious what others are carrying for when/if they come upon an injury.

Brian

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Stormtrack mobile app
I carry an ample supply of gauze in rolls and pads, 1" wide band aids. Figure there will be plenty of material available for splinting if needed. I also carry nitrile gloves and heavy duty work gloves for PPE. I also have a stocked CERT backpack which includes eye and head protection, a gas meter shutoff tool, triage tape and visibility vest. You get those at the end of the training :)

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Agree the training is a important thing, but even if you don't do that it is important to supplement your first-aid kit because - as Todd noted - most pre-packaged kits are only good for small boo-boos. If you do nothing else add three things: 4x4 and larger pads (something that will actually cover something and absorb some blood), gauze wrap (to hold the pads), and a pack of nitrile gloves (for your protection). You should be able to get all of that for $30 or so.

If your community offers CERT training, I encourage you to take it. It is informative and as others have noted they often give you free stuff. Supplies and a little training can save your own life or that of a family member, friend, or co-worker. CERT isn't just for folks who want to volunteer to be deployed or chasers who want to help folks after a storm if needed. CERT's main goal is to prepare you to help yourself, family, and neighbors in a time of crisis.

100% agree that training is the most important "thing" to have. Basic First aid + CPR is a good combo that will get you through most common scenarios you would come across. I also find most of the store-bought first aid kits are barely adequate other than basic home use. Having said that I would also like to stress that you should only bring/use what you've been trained for.

My background and training has made me comfortable to carry a kit similar to what you see issued to many government departments and military members. Items such as EMT scissors, SAM splints, triangular bandages, compression bandages, sterile gloves and a number of other items have come in very handy on a couple scenarios I've been involved in.

Last edited:
Great question, Brian. Thanks for bringing this up.

Brian, I've been trying to reach you to ask about comm transcripts you posted a link to from the June 3, 1980 Grand Island tornadoes event. That link is now broken. Please email me at darren.addy AT gmail dottieCOM. Thx!

I have my CERT backpack which came with a little "booboo kit", but I also built a second kit that has essential basic first aid stuff as well.. It contains triangular bandages, 2x2 and 4x4 gauze, 5x9 surgical pads (very absorbant), 2" gauze rolls, self-adhesive sports wrap, a roll of paper tape, butterflies, several pairs of nitrile gloves (you don't want anything with latex in your kit, you don't know who is allergic), a tourniquet, 2 CPR masks, 2 eye wash bottles, instant cold packs, mylar shock blankets, burn gel, antiseptic spray, hand sanitizer, individual powdered aspirins, electrolyte drink powders, glucose tablets, 1AAA Maglite (with lithium battery), EMT scissors, forceps, tweezers, needlenose pliers, and wire cutters.

Last edited:
20170820_150159.jpg 20170820_151628.jpg I have a small messenger bag that I carry, and in addition to a small modified SOL Hybrid 3 first aid/survival kit (not shown), I carry a small pocket trauma kit. The kit is made by Rescue Essentials and I got it on Amazon for around $33. It's a School Resource Officer's (SRO) pocket trauma kit. The vacuum sealed pack contains a SWAT-T tourniquet, a Z-PACK gauze dressing, Nitrile gloves, 36" of duct tape, and a CPR face shield. The pack fits nicely into the side pocket of my bag with room left over for other quick access items such as shears and a Leatherman Sidekick multi-tool.

Last edited:
I would definitely start with a CPR/AED/FirstAid Certification. The best way to build a good first aid kit, it to think about what kind of situations you would be facing. I would say the first thing a Chaser thinks about, is obviously going to be a Tornado Disaster like Joplin, Moore, Tuscaloosa, etc. First Aid is of huge importance during these situations. Here in Colorado, the average person never thought to prepare for a massive tornado until the 2008 Windsor Tornado. Emergency Services was completely overwhelmed until more resources arrived. I would say the best things to add outside of a regular kit. Are things like, Splints, CAT Tourniquets, Trauma Dressings, Z Gauze. I carry several of each. I also carry a box of latex gloves, as personal protection from blood borne pathogens are of huge importance. I also carry some gear to assist with rescue efforts. Things like 5:50 Chord, jack, and a pick axe. Make sure to secure heavy gear from flying around in case of a car crash! LOL. This may be a little overboard, because most of the emergency situations I've been involved in while chasing; have all be car crashes. Never the less, there is nothing wrong with trying to be as prepared as possible if you were to roll up on complete devastation. Just don't go outside of your training and certifications.

Back