• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

Favorable Weather Patterns for Good Sunset Color

Hello everyone, I am a Landscape photographer from Kansas and i have a question that maybe someone can answer. In landscape photography, one always prefers a good sunset with good color for the scene they are photographing. Typically in my experience, thin high level cirrus/stratus clouds always produce a good sunset with great color. My question is, what kind of weather patterns favor these types of clouds for a given location? For instance, if i am in a certain location, what type of weather pattern should that location be in for the highest likelyhood of these types of clouds? Also, is there a climatology resource or website that shows typical weather patterns at different times of the year for any given location? I would love something like this for planning purposes as i like to visit locations at ideal times for the best photography conditions. Thank you.

Back