F5data is now F5weather and it's better than ever

Steve Miller

Owner Emeritus
Staff member
Supporter
Many of you remember F5Data, one of the first weather modeling tools designed to be used by the paying public. That was in 2003. Since then the product has evolved, the latest rendition being web-based. I’ve always been a fan of the products by Andrew Revering’s company Convective Development, however, when I switched to Mac a few years ago, F5 was no longer an option as it was Windows based. That was then, this is now:

1*5lrVKUOzQS-eHmQfuv5ftg.png

Map example using the save feature

The new F5weather is as friendly as the popular free modeling website, Pivotal Weather, but with ECMWF data included, exclusive composite maps, a sweet interface, plus more outlined below. When comparing to sites with a paywall, F5 excels. Models, regions and product selection is a breeze, the output is rich with nicely contrasting color tables, and the owner is focused squarely on product improvement so we know things will continually evolve. A look at the interface:

1*xhLFhws8W5QSjBGYZT3z9w.png

Example of the model builder interface

Pricing is in line with the other pay-for modeling sites. It’s important to understand why these paysites charge what they do. ECMWF data alone can run as high as $250k per year, depending on the license type. Processing all of this model data then serving it is not cheap either. Here’s how pricing breaks down:

1*0uwh-hkoTo8L7MUqnirBSg.png

Competitive pricing

The best way to make sense of the packages is to demo the product. F5weather offers a free 7-day evaluation. When you’re ready to buy, use coupon code WX10 for a discount. I’ve broken down the NAM product menu here:

1*FeInn0WXckzqw6ZtisrAAg.png

NAM products
Within the builder interface, F5 includes tools to draw on the image, measure distance, animate, and more. F5weather also has click-on-map soundings as well as model data tables for a deeper data dive:

1*_6dMTi4JlipRDXHVZpPZhg.png

1*kPAV9RPTgbxtx1j-FqgNww.png

I mentioned composite maps. For years I’ve watched the custom APRWX Severe and Tornado models verify time and again. I’d like to see verification stats if they exist but suffice it to say, Andy’s mix of models that make up these products are extremely consistent. I'd show them here but we're in for a stretch of non-severe at the moment.

There’s a lot more to this service than I can possibly outline here. Simply put, I’m a fan and, in the interest of disclosure, this post was not solicited. I am a paid customer.

I was just about to ask if you had purchased the program from Andy but you answered that question in the last sentence. This gives everyone another option to choose from so I'm happy about that. Might give me a reason to drop Weather Bell or just go monthly during the chase season as it isn't cheap by any stretch.

The convective parameter output intrigues me, but it's hard to beat Weathermodels.com when it comes to a variety of models available. Especially with the hourly 06/18Z ECMWF maps starting later this month. It has a nice interface but the sevwx fields are lacking.

Definitely another viable opportunity given the fact it was developed by Dr. Ryan Maue. It’s on my short list for the future...

@Steve Miller, thanks for the info and for calling attention to this product, which I had completely forgotten about as over the years I had migrated to UCAR, then COD and most recently PivotalWeather. Unlike some people, I am not allergic to paying for apps and weather data, but have always felt that there was “enough” model data available for free. But I am intrigued by this offering and will check it out. I may wait until spring though, when there is more interesting weather to test it on [emoji57]

Is the only thing “new” that it is now available for the Mac? I am primarily a Windows user, has the product been consistently maintained/updated for Windows this entire time?

The only issue I see is in comparing the two different pay levels - the $10/month vs the $15/month. Of the incremental functionality, the only one that is important to me is Ensembles. Kind of surprised that is not included at the $10 level and don’t know that I want to pay 50% more for it.

One last question, have you tried this on an iPad and if so, what did you think of the user experience, display, navigation, etc.? Although I always bring a Windows laptop with me when chasing, I do use my iPad quite a bit, not only when on the road but often even in the hotel I’m more inclined to bring an iPad down to the lobby while I drink my morning coffee. [emoji57]

I’ve been a customer of Andy’s service for several years and the new version is great. Well worth the cost! You really get what you pay for.

Is the only thing “new” that it is now available for the Mac? I am primarily a Windows user, has the product been consistently maintained/updated for Windows this entire time?

Over the years the F5Data product was routinely updated for Windows, up until this most recent iteration (F5Weather). I'd venture to say the products are the same, it's the interface and fact that since it's now web-based, it can be used across platforms.

One last question, have you tried this on an iPad and if so, what did you think of the user experience, display, navigation, etc.?

I have pulled it up on my iPad and it was usable but not fully there yet. Button size and layout is not optimal but output is the same.

Hope this helps!

I’m in the market for a new modeling service offering mainly the Euro and the latest CAMs and see the top two I looked at this morning are already discussed in this thread. Are there any other players in this marketplace that may warrant checking out with the season just around the corner? I decided to part ways with WxBell as it was getting too pricey and the blogs are riddled with typos and misspellings that drive me nuts. Please let me know if there are others I haven’t yet considered.

Back