Explosive isolated supercell over Slovenia, June 27th 2008

Hey all,

I wanted to share my chase account of a great event few days ago, when we finally got a nice isolated supercell also here in Slovenia. There were quite impressive conditions with extreme instability over 3000 MLCAPE and almost 40kt shear. What was the most impressive thing with this supercell was its incredibly fast formation. It initiated along the OFB from early afternoon MCS over eastern Slovenia and in less than 10min it rised from single Cu tower into the great structure with massive backsheared anvil and overshooting top. It drop severe hail up to 5cm (2in) in diameter. As I live on the SW part of the country and had been working late, I had no time to go in front of it, not to mention my friend called me when I saw OT that he is "enjoying" the sound blast in the main hailcore and that highway he was with the car was the only way to come in front, so I let it go. Buit LL conditions were not that impressive, so I didn't bother to making a core punch, so I stayed on the west side to have nice view over the whole structure. And for those who chased in LA, AR and TN would know about what areas I am talking about, hilly terrain with trees.

So here are some images, the rest can be found on the link at the end.

27_06_2008mk1.jpg

27_06_2008mk2.jpg

27_06_2008mk3.jpg
27_06_2008mk5.jpg

27_06_2008mk6.jpg

27_06_2008mk20.jpg

27_06_2008mk23.jpg

27_06_2008mk25.jpg

More images here: http://www.weather-photos.net/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=253

Marko, I'm flying out to Slovenia right now. Can I stay at your place? Just joking. :D

Thanks for sharing such stunning photos. It's interesting to see such convective mayhem in other places around the world.

Wow Marko,
Very nice shots of this supercell ! I like the structure and the colours in the pictures.
On June 27th, more parts of central and southeastern Europe had it's share of severe storms:

sat200806271730.jpg

27 June 2008, 17:30 UTC.

Your storm(s) can easily be detected on the sat-image!

The one to the south of there looks like it has a little hook (Bosnia? My geography stinks ...)

Back