Eta brings in the Ohio Ice Age

I saw this curious artifact on the evening's Eta progs. According to this, it'll be about zero throughout the Midwest, except for Dayton, Ohio which dips to below -25F. Wonder what the circumstances were that led to this "cold pole". Maybe Santa is moving his operations down to Ohio.

0e9be24427144187ca90896a26973c95.gif

The recent 00Z Eta shows lots of snowfall for the area, this map is from Earl Barkers site,
which shows the total accumulation through 84 hours, uses a 12:1 snow ratio.
http://mgweather.com/CONUS1_ETA212_SFC_ACC...OWFALL_84HR.gif

The record low for Indiana is -36 set back on 01-19-94 occured in New Whiteland which is just south of IND.

Mike

If only that track was bumped northwest to include my area, then I could enjoy a nice two feet of snow (or more), along with much below zero temperatures...

I imagine Amos is quite sad he is missing all this.

Oh yeah, I'm crying a river. LOL. I had a small taste of the storm as I decided that yesterday was the day for tooling around the Dallas-Ft Worth metroplex visiting friends in The Colony and Denton. Meanwhile, snow was falling like it was Indiana, bridges freezing like Minnesota, and everybody driving like chasers twenty miles from the touchdown report. Jeez. I got off the roads about 6:30 PM and watched all the crashes on television.

This morning the weather reports made it sound like the Arctic Circle outside, so I bundled up, but was pretty disappointed. North Texas just can't pull off a real freeze like up north. The angle of the sun is still too high or something--I don't know. Ice is melting from sidewalks quickly, holes in the snow forming. 25F just doesn't feel nearly as menacing here.

Anybody happen to know offhand how much snow fell (is falling?) in Bloomington, Indiana?

Interesting to see how low the temps will get, already in
Shelbyville Indiana, which is just southeast of IND its -21

1 AM EST DEC 25

BLOOMINGTON PTCLDY -17 -23 73 CALM 30.24F 2004
SHELBYVILLE PTCLDY -21 -26 77 E6 30.23F WCI -36

Mike

The following low temperatures:
-22 Shelbyville IN
-19 Scottsburg IN
-19 Bloomington IN
-18 Hamilton OH
-17 Findlay OH
-13 Wright Paterson AFB
-10 Dayton OH

Mike

Originally posted by mikegeukes
The following low temperatures:
-22 Shelbyville IN
-19 Scottsburg IN
-19 Bloomington IN
-18 Hamilton OH
-17 Findlay OH
-13 Wright Paterson AFB
-10 Dayton OH

Mike

That's incredible. I don't know if it ever got that cold even when I lived in Wisconsin for a few years when I was a kid. Add that low temp to the list of things I'm not missing about southern Indiana right now.

And I have to hand it to the Eta.... it certainly had a handle 72-84 hrs out as evidenced by the top post.

Tim