Editing Software

Francesco

I would like to ask what software do you guys use for editing your chase videos, or any video?

Since no one has answered your post yet, I'll take a stab.

I don't do video editing, but I have heard a few applications mentioned to me the times I had asked. I only have one recommendation for PC's since I don't use them much anymore. Links are below

PC Video Editing
http://www.avid.com/products/xpressdv/

Mac Video Editing
http://www.apple.com/finalcutexpress/
http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/
http://www.apple.com/dvdstudiopro/
http://www.apple.com/productionsuite/ (The WHOLE Kit-and-kaboodle (sp?))
http://www.apple.com/ilife/imovie/ (Must Purchase Entire iLife '05 Suite)
http://www.avid.com/products/xpressdv/

I wish I knew more PC editing programs, because I'm sure that's what you are using. But who knows, maybe Apple's Pro Software line will entice a few more away from the "dark side" :D

-Peace

I am using Adobe Premiere Pro to edit my highlights. It's a very capable program; however, the learning curve is steep. It has taken me hours to learn how to use it and I've probably only used 10% of the functions. Meanwhile, I tried Sonic My DVD that came with my computer and made a DVD in about 5 minutes. There is an Adobe Premiere Elements but I haven't used it.

Bill Hark

Pinnacle Studio 9. It's a pretty good basic editor and will let you create a variey of formats. Certainly not the best out there, but for the basics, it's alright.

I'm looking to update the program to the full blown Studio 9 Plus just to get the Chroma Key effects and a few other whistles. I also have Pinnacle Liquid Edition 5.5 but haven't quite figured out how to use it yet. There's a pretty steep learning curve with it.

Originally posted by John Diel
Pinnacle Studio 9.

In my experience, Pinnacle Studio 9 is a VERY cantakerous, buggy program that is hit-or-miss as to whether or not it will work. 8 months and 2 patch downloads after first installing it on my 3 GHz P4, 512 MB/RAM HP notebook, I still cannot burn DVDs without some sort of foul-up. Either the chapters will be placed on the disk out of order, the audio and video will be out of sync with each other when the DVD is played back, or the program will hang up during rendering. I would not recommend Pinnacle to anyone.

Originally posted by Andy Wehrle+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Andy Wehrle)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-John Diel
Pinnacle Studio 9.

In my experience, Pinnacle Studio 9 is a VERY cantakerous, buggy program that is hit-or-miss as to whether or not it will work. 8 months and 2 patch downloads after first installing it on my 3 GHz P4, 512 MB/RAM HP notebook, I still cannot burn DVDs without some sort of foul-up. Either the chapters will be placed on the disk out of order, the audio and video will be out of sync with each other when the DVD is played back, or the program will hang up during rendering. I would not recommend Pinnacle to anyone.[/b]

I have used pinnacle studio version 8 for two years now and it has worked great for capturing, editing, and producing output in .avi, normal mpeg-1, and streaming video (wmv or rm). However, if you wish to burn to DVD, I strongly suggest TMPGEnc, both the mpeg-2 encoder AND the DVD authoring software. I used the pinnacle/tmpgenc combo with very little flaw.

Mike U

I have used pinnacle studio version 8 for two years now and it has worked great for capturing, editing, and producing output in .avi, normal mpeg-1, and streaming video (wmv or rm). However, if you wish to burn to DVD, I strongly suggest TMPGEnc, both the mpeg-2 encoder AND the DVD authoring software. I used the pinnacle/tmpgenc combo with very little flaw.

Ditto

If I were anyone out there reading this looking for a cheap GOOD way to produce dvds that WORKS I would just go this route. At this price I don't know of any other DVD encoder that does the job TMPGEnc does. And it still smokes many other higher dollar aps, from what I understand. I turned on the noise filter in their latest ap and it basically looked better than the DV footage straight from the deck. I now know of at least MikeU and Dave Lewison who've went this route and both are rather happy. Most store bought aps I've seen have not gotten the encode job done worth a crap. Same bit rate certainly doesn't mean same quality when you compare one ap to another....very far from it in most cases(all I've seen compared to the TMPGEnc results). Can't beat the quality at the price, that I know of.

In the last year i burned seven DVDs on my computer.I started using
Pinnicle Studio9,,but ran into a snag.My burner only burns DVD+RW-R.
Pinnicle would only work with DVD-RW-R,,,Program on the shelf.
Been trying to get through the learning curve with Adobe Pro 7.
lots of books and lots of reading.curently editing a family DVD. Roxio
Easy Creator 7 has been the easiest program i worked with and i burned
most of my DVDs with it including a DVD of every storm i shot since
Anyone Editing on there computer should think about getting a
seperate hard drive.My 120 is now down to 80GB.

Originally posted by Colin P.McIntyre
In the last year i burned seven DVDs on my computer.I started using
Pinnicle Studio9,,but ran into a snag.My burner only burns DVD+RW-R.
Pinnicle would only work with DVD-RW-R,,,Program on the shelf.

That's quite odd that you ran into a problem like that Colin. I use Pinnacle Studio 9 and it works fine with both the DVD burners I have - one is purely DVD+R/RW and the other burns both -R and +R formats.

I've used the Pinnacle Studio products (versions 7 & 9) quite succesfully to create the three highlight videos and the winning Denver video contest montage produced by Scott Blair and I. The software is well-designed and easy to use.

However, I do have one complaint regarding the Pinnacle Studio software - if you purchase it, plan on having to download a large patch in order to make it work correctly. Neither versions 7 nor 9 worked reliably out of the box, but after I installed the patches for both, they worked fabulously. I guess getting the product to the store shelves is more important than having it work reliably out of the box. This is really a minor issue though and more of an annoyance than anything. IMHO, Pinnacle Studio can't be beat for the price.

Jason

Vegas Video... If you got $800 lying around I highly recommend it for its feature toolset and ease of use.

I shoot and edit video professionally. Vegas is considered a somewhat higher end app. In my circles and forums.

On the issue of Pinnicle Studio 9,,i have only the one burner that burns
DVD+RW+R.I have considerd getting one that plays both formats.
Also compleated a family Dvd on Adobe Pro 7,so it looks like
all the reading is paying off.Since i don't do alot of in car chasing im
hoping to go more in the direction of timelaps vidio this summer.We
will see what happens.

Originally posted by Kurt Hulst
Can pinnacle convert a movie in to a timelapse. If not what other programs can you find that do?

Yes, Pinnacle can speed up the video up to 5x. If you want to go faster though, you'll either have to capture the video while speeding it up with the camera or render the timelapse as an avi and then import it into the storyboard and speed it up again. You'll experience a bit of quality loss with both of these methods, but for the most part, it's negligable. I've taken 2 hours of footage down to 20 seconds with minimal quality loss.

However, I believe there are other editing programs out there that will allow the video to be sped up more than 5x without having to jump through some hoops.

Jason

I am using Premier Pro. I use it to cut news stuff, which is just really fast and simple clip editing. I used it also for those recent videos I posted online (although I did use some other programs for other things like graphics and sound) and I was able to make a quick plug and play DVD right from the software...nothing fancy, no menus or anything. We are also using it for our full DVD release.

I played with the Vegas Video some, and it seemed to have some great features, but given my time frames and familiarity with Premier Pro, I stuck with it for now.

I will say this, don't bother with Premier Pro unless your serious about your editing video and plan to do a LOT of it. It will bend over backward to work for you, but to get that, it DOES have a steep learning curve.

If your just going to be an occassional editor, stick with the cheaper Pinnacle stuff.

Back