Ebay Laptop Desks

Alright, I know there is several other threads on the laptop desks, but this really didn't fall anywhere in any of them. At least I didn't think so... I've been looking into a desk for my vehicle for quite some time. I know a jotto or ram desk would obviously be the best, but I don't have the money for one of those. Now, of course I had to look on Ebay and there is a ton of them on there, most of them actually exactly the same.

But, with ebay there is always the question of if they are good enough. i was wondering what some others thought or even if somebody has gotten one like these and what they thought of it...

Here is the link to what I've been looking at: http://search.ebay.com/laptop-mount_W0QQca...vZ1QQsacatZQ2d1

Thanks

Eh... I shopped around eBay for a long time looking for something like those, but went ahead and put out the bucks for the Jotto. I'm very happy I did; the adjustment capabilities for those are unmatched by anything on eBay. I know fellow chaser Verne Carlson has a makeshift type like eBay, so I'm sure they can work out. But personally, I've been spoiled and happy with the Jotto.

I got an el cheapo one off of ebay. I think I paid around $25 for mine. It does its job, but the quality matches the price. Mine was quite cumbersome to mount and had razor sharp edges. Everything had to be wrapped in foam or else you'd cut your clothing or scrape your arms. The quality of the bore holes and locking pins aren't the greatest either. It also doesn't support its weight perfectly (it bends). I also had some problems with the stand keeping its posture and had to add some starlock washers.

However, its held up on several chases and has yet to go through a catastrophic failure. I didn't shell out for a Jotto because I simply don't have that kind of money. My cheap stand still beats the passenger seat, though. Basically if you have the money you should definitely get the Jotto. The ebay rigs do work but keep in mind you'll probably be doing more tweaking.

05033001.jpg

Thanks Skip... I don't have the money for Jotto, that is without a doubt. I know it may use some tweaking and stuff like that, but I was just about ready to build my own. So I will take buying most of the parts and then do some tweaking to finish it off.

Any other info will still be appreciated...

I've scowered home depot looking for good parts and came up short. Finding a decent platform to hold the laptop is tricky. My stand is using what I believe was once a music stand. I'm sure you could craft something out of wood and screw in some braces, but that's too involved for a noncraftsman like me.

More difficult than assembling the stand, however, is mounting it. I didn't want to go through the floor for fear that I would hit something, and I would need to raise the car up to work on it from underneath. That would require taking it into the shop, and I'd be in the jotto price range real quick. I could not get the seat bolt off of my rusted 16 year old beater to save my life so that was out. I wound up drilling into the plastic console. The plastic is thin and I had serious doubts about whether it would hold, but it did. The plastic is nowhere near as firm as the floor though so it'll rock a good inch or two in any direction when the car gets jostled.

Anyway, I hope these ramblings are useful notes. I spent several hours just staring at parts trying to see how stuff would work.

Originally posted by John Diel
Take a good close look at the pictures. Now go to your favorite Hardware store and make your own for about half the price.

I've been looking close and my dad and I have both been trying to come up with plans... I still have plenty of time to figure it out before next season and I may be getting a new vehicle so I'm holding off untli that is finalized.

And skip, don't worry you are providing me with some help. So it isn't all for not. :)

Alright, I know there is several other threads on the laptop desks, but this really didn't fall anywhere in any of them. At least I didn't think so... I've been looking into a desk for my vehicle for quite some time. I know a jotto or ram desk would obviously be the best, but I don't have the money for one of those. Now, of course I had to look on Ebay and there is a ton of them on there, most of them actually exactly the same.

But, with ebay there is always the question of if they are good enough. i was wondering what some others thought or even if somebody has gotten one like these and what they thought of it...

Here is the link to what I've been looking at: http://search.ebay.com/laptop-mount_W0QQca...vZ1QQsacatZQ2d1

Thanks

I actually Just bought this laptop mount. Its not flexible/adjustable but its cheap. The main construction is with 1-1/2 " cast steel piping with some plastic lume tubing to cover, the laptop plate is plexi glass. It was a good mount for me, i just put the bolt that screws into the front seat to secure it. You can make it fit anyway you wish with extra peices. It took a little time to go get any extra piping peices but they can be found VERY cheaply at your local hardware store. But after i got the right peices i have a laptop mount that I am satisfied with for alot less than i thought. It does Not come with any strapping to secure the laptop to the plexiglass though. I also used some teflon plumbers tape to tighten the pipe fittings but allowing for some movement in the pipes so i can swing it ,or turn the laptop plate, or bend the angle up and down so that the front passenger will be able to get in and out without too much hassle. I will post pics along sometime soon to show. But all and all its a good mount for the money.

Thanks a lot for the info... You can easily get some velco and get that all together as well, or even come up with your own way to secure it. I'm fine with it not being as flexible, one more question for ya. How easy is it to attach and unattach it from the seat?

Otherwise great info!

Yes i bought a nylon strap to secure mine. Its extremely easy to disconnect, they give you a quick disconnect fitting with the mount so you can use your hands and connect it or disconnect it in 10 seconds or less.

Like Tony said I got one off eBay recently. It looks like it is flexible but that is just tubing over rigid steel pipes like what you can buy at any hardware store. It is so convincing that it is flexible that people have sat in my car and grabbed it and cracked the plexiglass top trying to pull it towards them. It was only $40 with shipping so I can't complain about the price but be aware that it DOES NOT MOVE!

20060110_Jotto4.JPG

Verne. Thank you so much for clearing that up. I have been looking at all these pics on that ebay site and wondering HOW that thing doesnt bounce all around while driving. NOW it makes sense. So you are happy with it? Any clue how some of the pictures have bends in the shaft? Did you have to get anything else, that didnt come with the unit, to make it work other than the straps? Thanks for the info.

Doug Raflik

The laptop mount comes with pipe fittings and peices that you assemble and configure to your preference. They have a few pipe elbow fittings that you can use to connect the streight peices of pipe together. If you dont have the correct peices, or enough peices, you can buy them at a hardware store for cheap. I bought a couple of 90 degree elbow joints because the 45 degree joints didnt fit my needs as well. The whole thing is kind of like playing with erector set. You just make it as you wish. After you assble the pipe fittings to your needs, you just slip on the black plastic covering to make it look cleaner. The plexi glass plate is what I was really paying for. But again, once you have the mount set, its not easily adjustable. You can do what i did and use some teflon tape to keep the pipe fittings tight but slightly adjustable.

Beings there is so many different people selling these on ebay, wondering if you two that have bought them could clarify on who you bought it from. I don't think I had seen a picture of that one before Gerard, so I was just wondering what one that is...

Thanks...

Back