DSLR basics please

Thanks for the advice so far. I am about at the place Zach was talking about. I have borrowed a friend's Canon DSLR a couple times and was okay with it. Otherwise, I am at the point and shoot level and while that has worked so far, I'm ready to start learning the basics of the DSLR and am still trying to decide on a good camera to learn on. Checked eBay since I am an eBay fanatic but was impressed with how the new prices at WalMart compared to eBay. I guess a couple real specific camera recommendations in my under 1K and hopefully close to 5-700 price range would be helpful. I also am lost when talking about lenses. Don't really know if I need a 18-55mm or a 300mm. Remember I'm not looking to be the next Hollingshead (yet) but I want a decent camera to learn on!

Remember I'm not looking to be the next Hollingshead (yet) but I want a decent camera to learn on!

lol hell all I do the vast majority of the time is stick the camera on AV, give myself a wide open aperture, and click the exposure offset to + 2/3 to + 1 stop...while using evaluative metering mode. Then the rest is just processing the RAW file. A whole lot of the time it can be that simple....largely point and shoot.

Again, there's largely not that much to taking the photo. I'd say a bigger struggle might come in processing if you shoot in RAW....or even any format. High dynamic storm scenes create a big fat problem for the camera. Cause usually if you keep the sky from blowing out too bad, the extreme majority of the rest of the scene is way way under exposed and flat. fwiw The camera nowadays really won't matter a heck of a lot when it comes to image quality and aspects. Even the nice lens will only do so much.

B&H.com, or calumet photo... both have used photo sections where you can buy bodies, lenses, everything cheaper then new... and both are extremely reputable...

I use canon, always have and will... a plus about canon is the lenses will ALWAYS fit upgrades in the canon family...

Put the money into glass, not the body... especially if you go canon. The mid-level canons (rebels, etc) are probably a safe bet... I've used a rebel up to the 5D and love them all...

A word of caution with eBay and used cameras... if you every buy a camera from eBay, make sure to ask what the SHUTTER COUNT is... most people won't know, but it's very important. The higher the shutter count, the lower the quality/failure ratio is... meaning that if a person puts a used camera up on ebay, it could have 200,000 "clicks" and close to failure.

sorry if any of that was repeated...

Just to throw out the idea: For a first DSLR, you could pick up an older used model, with a typical 18~55mm range 'kit' lens for under $300. Use it for a year, then trade it toward something newer and nicer when you have a better idea what you need (Maybe a proper medium format film kit! ;) )

I saw a clean 350-D (Drebel XT) go for $150 on Fredmiranda the other day. Add $80 for the Mark II kit lens and you'd be golden. Or, wipe out most of your $1000 budget and buy one of those nice superwide (~12mm to ~28mm) zooms, the sort that seem most useful for chasing. http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/10

KEH is another good source for used equipment. They are a bit more expensive, but do a good job of testing the stuff they sell. They also offer a solid warranty.

In the meantime, I suggest you head to the library and rent a few good books on photography. "The Negative" and "The Camera" by 'that Adams guy' are decades old, but are widely available and do an excellent job explaining the technical aspects of sensitometry and camera optics. Of course, there are many other competent books.... Understanding what is going on within the camera is a must, and will allow you to intelligently avoid shooting the dreaded P mode.

Try to save a hundred or so for a decent tripod if you want to shoot lightning, etc.

Last edited:
This has been helpful. Have not found anything quite like this 350d for $150 on fredmiranda that you mention above... but there has been some good advice here.

Curious, what is the Mark II kit lens you refer to?

This has been helpful. Have not found anything quite like this 350d for $150 on fredmiranda that you mention above... but there has been some good advice here.

Curious, what is the Mark II kit lens you refer to?

Canon's original 18~55 was "not the greatest." Their new IS lens is, AFAIK, quite a bit sharper. Nikon's low-end lenses are generally not quite so low end. ;)

Here's a chap I sorta know selling one for $250+. (Not horrible, but hardly a screaming deal, IMO) I don't see a raft of people replying, so you might have good luck talking him down.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/883823/

Back