Double trouble in the west pacific

Tim Paitz

EF2
Two typhoons are expected to develop in the pacific. The western storm is goni, and the eastern storm is atsani. Goni is expected to hit taiwan in less than a week (though keep in mind the uncertainty increases the farther in advance you go), while atsani will hit saipan (already affected by soudelor) as a tropical storm.

However, both are expected to rapidly intensify into powerful typhoons. Fortunately, atsani will mainly stay out at sea by then, but goni may hit taiwan as a typhoon and they were hit by soudelor as well.

As for hilda, she is no more. Strong westerlies literally tore the storm apart to where most of the convection was on the east side, leaving the center exposed. Wow, sounds like the atlantic in 2013! Speaking of which, a pattern change may make the gulf a little more favorable as shear may back off a bit. Now the tropical waves are beginning to move the African coast.

Hawaii is very lucky that Jimena weakened and moved North. I'm curious as to the probability of a Cat 4 directly hitting the islands this season.

Hawaii is very lucky that Jimena weakened and moved North. I'm curious as to the probability of a Cat 4 directly hitting the islands this season.

It's extremely rare. Wind shear usually weakens them. There's usually a ridge in place north of hawaii and i believe that it weakened when iniki hit.

Back