Do you think chasing will be expensive coming from Nevada?

Hi! A lot of you might know me already from chaser chat. Considering if I had the right truck and equipment required. Do you think it would get expensive to drive from Nevada to midwest to do some chasing? (The south is kind of a nightmare to chase in from what I've seen and heard so I might save that for later. Not to mention fast moving storms and mostly rain wrapped tornadoes.)

I mean I would imagine any chase to be expensive on gas since you are pretty much driving none stop most of the time. Not to mention the drive back. I am not sure where most of your guys are located but I am guessing the majority of you are MUCH closer then me.

I live in the TX Panhandle, and during my usual 20-25 day vacation, I can spend upwards of 3000 dollars. Gas, meals, and especially motels can get expensive real quick. I usually stay in Holiday Inn Express motels, and they can go for 80-130 bucks a night.

It's all relative. How much money can you allocate to chase? The more, the more luxurious your chases or the longer you can stay out. Without knowing your financial situation it would be hard to offer you personalized advice.

If I'm on the road for more than a couple of days, I'll usually sleep in my truck and shell out 12 bucks for a shower at a truck stop. Some people can't do that though, so the cost starts going up when you add in hotels. Driving to the plains from Nevada I would expect to eat up a couple hundred bucks in fuel one way. I would also budget 100 or so for fuel per chase day just to be on the safe side, more if you don't wake up in your target area. My chase in December probably ran me about 80 in fuel, and I probably only put about 500 miles on that day. I don't sit there and idle though unless I'm in a position where I may need to move again quickly.

If I'm on the road for more than a couple of days, I'll usually sleep in my truck and shell out 12 bucks for a shower at a truck stop. Some people can't do that though, so the cost starts going up when you add in hotels. Driving to the plains from Nevada I would expect to eat up a couple hundred bucks in fuel one way. I would also budget 100 or so for fuel per chase day just to be on the safe side, more if you don't wake up in your target area. My chase in December probably ran me about 80 in fuel, and I probably only put about 500 miles on that day. I don't sit there and idle though unless I'm in a position where I may need to move again quickly.

I did a quick calculation and including at least motel along the way if I don't drive non stop for 22 hours would cost me roughly 250 both ways. So for any chase I would consider the average cost of chasing and just add an additional 250 dollars. So its not bad especially compared to that one chaser/paramedic who has to fly in every year from Australia. Thank you guys for your replies I always appreciate it.

At the moment I don't have a truck or a job so for the time being I cannot chase this year; unless I take a bus out there and have someone pick me up. Although I have a career I need to get together first so at the moment its unlikely.

Back