Do you shoot RAW?

I came across this yesterday -- I'd never heard of it before. It's possible that I've been living under a rock and that all the other RAW shooters out there found this some time ago.

Microsoft has released a Powertools utility that allows you to view RAW files in the file explorer the same way that you would view JPEGs... thumbnails and all. This has really simplified my life, as I now no longer have to fire up the Adobe Bridge to get a quick thumbnail overview of the files -- they're right there in the Windows file browser.

You can download the utility here:

Microsoft RAW Viewing Utility

That's a pretty nifty utility. I downloaded it last spring (I think), and it makes viewing RAW images considerably easier.

Wow, I've been living some big rock. Thanks for sharing.

Edit: Best to use IE not Firefox to download. Also, I'm only get the thumbnail previews, no full or medium sized previews.

Wow, I've been living some big rock. Thanks for sharing.
Edit: Best to use IE not Firefox to download. Also, I'm only get the thumbnail previews, no full or medium sized previews.
[/b]

I think that the RAW files will open up in a "Windows Fax & Picture Viewer" type program if, after installing this, you allow it to be the default opener of that file type. Then, by double-clicking the thumbnail, you get a larger (up to 100%) view of the image.

I came across this yesterday -- I'd never heard of it before. It's possible that I've been living under a rock and that all the other RAW shooters out there found this some time ago.

Microsoft has released a Powertools utility that allows you to view RAW files in the file explorer the same way that you would view JPEGs... thumbnails and all. This has really simplified my life, as I now no longer have to fire up the Adobe Bridge to get a quick thumbnail overview of the files -- they're right there in the Windows file browser.

You can download the utility here:

Microsoft RAW Viewing Utility
[/b]

Oh, very convenient. Nice when you just want to find something without having to fire up the Canon software. Thanks for posting this.

Back