Discover Channel Tornado Special tonight

Bill Hark

EF5
There is a listing for a new tornado special on Discovery Channel this evening at 9:00 PM EDT. It is on 2008 year tornadoes. The show is new. I don't have any other details and the show is different than the upcoming Storm Chasers series.

Bill Hark

There is a listing for a new tornado special on Discovery Channel this evening at 9:00 PM EDT. It is on 2008 year tornadoes. The show is new. I don't have any other details and the show is different than the upcoming Storm Chasers series.

Bill Hark

Thanks Bill! I remember being contacted during mid summer about a series for the discovery channel entitled "Tornadoes Deadliest Season". They were asking for footage. I'm interested to see if this is the same show, but I can't imagine it would have been completed so quickly. Anyway, I'll take a look at it.

It's called 'Tornado Rampage' - I've got my DVR set! Even though it says it highlights 2008, look for tornadoes from 2007 and coverage of Greensburg as well. I doubt we'll get it but I really hope they stay true to the tornadoes that actually happened on that day and not a big mish-mash of footage.

Edit: Holy Tornado Recap Batman! That was pretty good, stayed true to the events!

Last edited by a moderator:
The show is on at 8pm CST and replays at midnight CST. I have some video from the May 10th Picher tornado that they are supposed to show. It should be interesting to watch for sure. I am really looking forward to "Storm Chasers" next month. This is the same show that several people were contaced in regards to their tornado footage.

I'm so glad I ran across this just now! My wife and I were going to chase NE Colorado and/or Western NE after church today, but decided to bail out when the parameters weren't up to snuff. I'm going into supercell withdrawls right now, so this came along in the nick of time. Next year's chase season seems so far off right now.

On The Show.. Let's clear up some things.

I wanted to post here and let people know that the SevereStudios team knows that this show is not sticking to the truth and nothing but the truth.

Kenny Allen and Kory Hartman appeared on the show called "Tornado Rampage" that premiered Sunday night on the Discovery Channel. The show highlighted many of the tornadoes from the 2008 storm chase season.

The show did, however, splice in many different tornadoes from other years. That means it was not only footage from 2008. Also, they took some liberties on how they portrayed our "In The Tornado" event. First, when the tornado hit Kory and I, it was an EF0-EF1, and we were near Moorehead, IA. Second, it was about 8 to 10 minutes after the Little Sioux Scout Ranch was hit. The tornado was an EF3 over the boyscout camp, but later weakened to an EF1-EF0 before dying out. The damage path and our findings on the strength of the tornado were verified by Jon and Shawna Davies, when they completed two different damage path assessments. It can be found here:
http://davieswx.blogspot.com/2008/08/61108-little-sioux-moorhead-iowa.html

For more information on the "In The Tornado" event and the complete video go here: http://www.severestudios.com/June-11-2008-little-sioux-moorhead-ia-tornado-video

This is our attempt to keep the negativity down by giving you the truth before it is discussed here. Let us all remember that TV Producers don't always stick to the facts.

They're on May 3 right now...I think it's David Payne's footage...this is stuff I haven't seen before. So far it's not a bad show.

I saw it on the schedule very well done

Glad I saw it
Yeah it says 2008 but it has really more from other years.
Parkersville, IA
Includes Mulvane; 1999 OKC;
Greenburg (with Scott McCartland in it )
Woodware IA 2005 ( guy in running after it with his camcorder as it hits a neighbors house)
recent video of the two guys caught inside tornado early this year
Andover tornado 1991
Scene of people under highway overpass (classic not to do)

Great video from the ground and air
Good closeups too
Good information about facts and figures related to the strength of the tornadoes, path, how wide etc

Even my wife watched part of it

Most of the stuff you all have seen like I have= but there are a few videos that I had not seen
Not sure who shot most of the footages as this was not told for most of them

No matter- well done and good stuff packed in 1 hour
catch it !

Of all the vid that's available, why did they have to dig up the KS Turnpike overpass? They really could have left that one out.
Now this Manitoba footage...that's cool stuff! I haven't seen that one before, either.

Also, they took some liberties on how they portrayed our "In The Tornado" event. First, when the tornado hit Kory and I, it was an EF0-EF1, and we were near Moorehead, IA. Second, it was about 8 to 10 minutes after the Little Sioux Scout Ranch was hit. The tornado was an EF3 over the boyscout camp, but later weakened to an EF1-EF0 before dying out. .

I'm glad you guys clarified that, because I was a bit skeptical.

I also noticed that they are listing past tornadoes (i.e. Manchester S.D.) that were rated on the old scale as being classified as EF scale twisters, most of which occurred before that rating system was in use.

At least they are hitting home about the dangers of seeking safe harbor at the local underpass.

Great 2008 stuff - liked the Stoughton, WI; Woodward, IA; and Elie, Manitoba features as well - great video by all involved.

The inclusion of the Andover 4.26.91 overpass vid - come on... ! Given the NWS efforts over the past 10 years to warn the public NOT to take cover under overpasses when tornadoes are sighted - there is NO place for this video in any documentary in 2008.

I agree....
The 2008 footage was good, but the overpass should have been left out.
People remember what they SEE, not hear, and if taking shelter under an overpass is as dangerous as they say, that video should not be shown any longer!!

Back