Digital Cameras

Does anybody have any suggestions for a good digital camera? I know some of it depends on what you are looking for. I am thinking something in the 5 megapixel range. If anybody has any suggestions or have a particular camera they have been very satisfied with let me know. As far as price goes I would say in the $200-300 range.

Thanks

I've got a Sony DSC-F707. You can pick those up on eBay for a fairly reasonable price (that's where I got mine). 5X optical zoom, 5 megapixels, and takes fairly good pictures.

This chase account has pictures taken with that camera. It's got manual controls, so you can take pictures of lightning too.

The only problem I've had is that there's a little bit of noise at ISO 400 in low light (e.g. stormy) situations. However, this is easily solved by using ISO 200/100 instead.

Thanks for the responses everybody! I may not get a digital camera until next chase season rolls around, but it is nice to have some ideas in mind to work with.

I'm looking at getting a D50 Nikon. It is a bit higher in price and pixels than what you want, but for me I can use all my 35mm lenses with it. So maybe look at your camera equipment, and if you have some lenses that can be interchanged see if you could find a digital body for them!

Originally posted by Chris Wilburn
Thanks for the responses everybody! I may not get a digital camera until next chase season rolls around, but it is nice to have some ideas in mind to work with.

Since you have some time to save before buying, you might consider the Canon 300D (digital rebel). It's a 6.3 megapixel SLR with a price tag that has slowly but surely been dropping since release of the 350XT, takes excellent photos and you'll probably be able to find some great deals on the body or a full package around Christmas time.

Just a thought...

Scott

Chris, what benefit are you seeking out of your digital camera? I am not anti-digital. I own one myself. But as a long time professional photojournalist I can tell you that other than the ability to preview your photos quickly, you really aren't getting any huge benefit out of going digital, as far as storm chasing goes. Your basic Canon EOS Rebel ($150) will ultimately provide you with clearer, more reproduceable quality photographs than even the best Canon EOS-1DS ($8k) will. I know digital is all the rage, but the quality simply isn't there yet for serious photography.

I'll use my digital for spot news, snapshots, and random crap for use on the web. But for something I was actually going to sell or use for archival purposes, film is still the only way to go for serious scientific or archival image reproduction.

But if all you're really doing is taking casual snapshots for a blog, then yeah, any 3+ mp digital should give you the quality for that.

Originally posted by Rob_Davis
Your basic Canon EOS Rebel ($150) will ultimately provide you with clearer, more reproduceable quality photographs than even the best Canon EOS-1DS ($8k) will.

:shock: $150 rebel will give better results than Canon's pro digital camera???? :roll: :lol:

Sorry Rob, but that statement couldn't be more wrong. Today's digital quality is easily as 'clear' and even more easily has 'reproducable quality'. With a mid to high-end digital camera, and a quality photo printer, you can achieve prints just as good or better than developed film prints. I've done it and have tons of friends that are doing it. As far as what you told him regarding how he might intend on using it, I agree.

Sorry to get off-track in your post Chris, but I had to address that bit of misinformation.

Scott

Originally posted by Chris Wilburn
Does anybody have any suggestions for a good digital camera? I know some of it depends on what you are looking for. I am thinking something in the 5 megapixel range. If anybody has any suggestions or have a particular camera they have been very satisfied with let me know. As far as price goes I would say in the $200-300 range.

Thanks

Chris,

Let me refer you to another thread on PnS digital cameras. I ended up going this route and have been very pleased with what I got out of it. I ended up getting a Canon A85 digital camera and have taken some of the best lightning shots of my life with it. The newer model of this is the A95 I believe, but I believe it is about the same except its a 5MP as opposed to the A85's 4MP.

050518d.jpg

Originally posted by Scott Taylor
Sorry to get off-track in your post Chris, but I had to address that bit of misinformation.
I would dispute that it is "misinformation." At the size and resolution you are reproducing, you may see no significant difference. That is all a matter of perception. But there most certainly IS a difference. And if you have to crop and magnify your image to any extent -- especially in tricky light situations -- you will notice those differences. Those differences aren't generally seen in a 50-75kb web snap like you posted above.

I would submit that you have seen no difference probably because you have not experimented with a wide array of situations. You need actual side-by-side comparisons, not random comparisons of unrelated shots. Shoot a distant tube in an overcast situation with both a digital and a film cam, magnify and print those images and examine them with (or even without) a loupe, and then tell me you can't see the difference.

Again, I am not talking about candid shots of your frat party or family reunion. I am talking about scientific and archival quality photographs that can be examined in minute detail. I am talking about the difference between "professional" and "serious hobby."

Guys,

Please refrain from getting off-topic... if you care to debate the quality of cameras, you are more than welcome to search up an old thread relating to those or start a new one, but please try and remember this was a thread asking about what kind of cameras. While the debate could relate to this, please try to avoid hijacking this thread with it.

Thanks,
Tony

I have really started to fall in love with my Fuji FinePix S7000. I have to admit though when I first got it the camera was a little intimidating with all of the different options and settings that it had. Now, I have more than 4,000 pictures under my belt with it and have started to really be able to use it to the fullest. It really gives you a lot of great feaures and options for the modest price of around $400.

Here is a link to some pictures that I have taken with it recently.
http://darinbrunin.blogspot.com

And for more information on the camera go
Here

I use my $260 Kodak, which was a major mistake to buy in the first place. The lighting is all screwed up, which makes the picture quality look like crap. It also eats up batteries like you wouldn't believe. If anyone here is thinking about buying a Kodak for chasing, you might want to read web reviews on the particular model that you intend to buy.

Thanks

Chris,

Let me refer you to another thread on PnS digital cameras. I ended up going this route and have been very pleased with what I got out of it. I ended up getting a Canon A85 digital camera and have taken some of the best lightning shots of my life with it. The newer model of this is the A95 I believe, but I believe it is about the same except its a 5MP as opposed to the A85's 4MP.

I also am a fan of the Canon Powershot series. I have the A95 and am very happy with it. It is also in your price range. I haven't taken any lightning photos with it yet (lack of severe weather in N. IL), but I know it would do a good job, as it can leave the shutter open for 15 seconds, plus the camera is similar to the one Tony used to get that lightning shot.

Jarrod Cook

Back