Denver ChaserCon 2014?

Just wanted to say thanks so much for the convention stream. I successfully avoided chores all last weekend got to enjoy most of the talks. I was particularly fascinated with the RaXPol animations from Howie Bluestein's talk. I think I could stare at those for hours. Does anyone have a high-res view of those? I've also done some searching through the ARRC publications, but wasn't able to determine if they've released any of their data yet. Is there a RaXPol repository available?

I second Stephen's sentiments regarding the stream. Unfortunately, the GF & I weren't able to get a flight out due to lingering weather issues, but really enjoyed streaming it on the laptop & putting it on the big screen. Missed catching up with folks, but the stream was the next best thing.

@Stephen Henry Some of the radar data can be found in the paper: Preliminary Results from the ROTATE 2013 Season. Do a search and a link to the PDF will come up.

Thanks so much, Greg. I hadn't seen these preliminary results yet. Some amazing data sets. Do you know if there are eventual plans/timeframes to release the raw data?

The 16th National Storm Chaser Convention in Denver was a memorable and hopeful occasion.

“Memorable” for the various spoken, written and symbolic tributes to Tim and Paul Samaras and to Carl Young. Marc and Sharon Austin’s written tribute in the ChaserCon printed program reviewed a wide range of the interests and capabilities of these talented men. Roger Hill recalled his many years association with Tim, followed by Mark Austin and Gabe Garfield, who reviewed the storm setup that day and the Twistex team’s final moments (pausing at times to collect themselves). They were followed by Mike Nelson, Chief Meteorologist for the Denver ABC affiliate, who had also known Tim over many years. Then the moment came for Sal, Carl’s stepfather, and Kathy, Tim’s wife to speak. Those who had experienced a loss, that no one can share, spoke movingly about their children and the sense of extended family that they felt with everyone in that room. Three notebooks were placed in the back in which to leave comments. At the front and on a separate table were complete dinner place-settings…for three absent chasers.

“Hopeful” that this Conference brought home the hard fact of mortality to many and may save the lives of a few. Later that night, I heard one chaser say that he had cut short a closer approach to the Wayne, Nebraska tornado last October --because of his new appreciation for risk. If this increased caution can be multiplied just a few times, it will mean lives saved or --perhaps-- not being crippled and bedridden the rest of your life, counting the cracks in the ceiling. If chasers also consider the toll that a moment’s recklessness could have on their families, then this loss will have added meaning. Not everyone will change, but I believe that enough were impressed so that lives will be saved. Roger Hill did a fine job in arranging for and presenting the other side of chasing, that is an ever present counterbalance to its excitement and notoriety.

Tim Marshall’s annual, comic presentation lightened the afternoon but ended with a moment of remembrance that may do as much as any to reign in the risk takers. He concluded by handing out miniature rubber cheeseburgers to everyone in the room (at his expense) to remind them of a Tim Samaras favorite during a chase, which he kept on his dashboard for good luck. Every storm chaser that was there is now expected to place one on his or her dashboard to remember Tim, Paul and Carl --and why it is there. A reminder that life is already short, and there is no good reason to make it shorter.

- - - David Hoadley

Last edited by a moderator:
Back